The Great BASC Insurance Excess

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to withdraw my recent recommendation to other forum members that you consider joining the BASC when needing shooting insurance and suggest you look at alternatives where insurance cover is n

Fixed that for you mate ?

Fart at a wrong angle on pigeon watch to get banned!

I know that we are all making jokes about bog rolls but the seriousness of the situation and the mindset is lost. everyone should know that the virus doesn't give you the rots.  So why isn't Boris or anyone else telling the masses that their wsting time and money by stocking up hundreds of toilet rolls?  Could it be that the supermarkets and all the supply chain plus the government making a big cash windfall out of it. If they were really interested in this situation they could ration purchase to say 4 rolls per customer. One of the daugnters went to Tesco in Hastings the other day at 9.15 am  for a normal shop and it was like a war zone.  A lot of shelves were empty.!!! Lunacy. A lot of what people are buying will probably end up beIng dumped in the bin.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Sausagedog said:

Underneath the jokes there is a lot of fear!

Yes.  It's a bit like brexit.   Years of being in a union and being intertwined is difficult to unintangle from and its like modern day life.  Life has to go on and stuff has to be done. That daughter is a school Secretary and has just dropped a sickly child off her for the Mrs to look after. (With our agreement ).  It could be said that we are putting ourselves at risk but life hast to go on and things have to be done.  That daughter is stressed up to the top with everything that is in their lives.  It could be a bad situation all round but another of our daughters is a staff nurse at a big hospital dealiñg with patients recovering from major, major surgery.  Is she supposed to walk away from her duty. It's risks and balances. We make the best of what it is and hope that the storm passes by.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Underneath the jokes there is a lot of fear!

Fear makes people behave irrationally and often turns to wrath!

That's what I'm most annoyed about with the whole thing is the way the govt about turn coupled with bbc coverage is whipping people into a frenzy of fear.

• Like 1

On tv last night, the news reported that it was expected that the uk will have 250,000 deaths through coronavirus if we do not self isolate in which case this could reduce to 20,000 deaths. Now that is pretty frightening to say the least, it scares the hell out of me.  I am retired so for me to self isolate is not difficult but my wife is a self employed Chiropodist, she is now only working part time until her state pension kicks in, however it still places her in possible risk area although there has only been one case of the virus in North Lincolnshire but nevertheless is a concern and will result in stopping work in the near future.

With the speed at which this virus spreads, we will all be spending a lot more time on this and other forums and with over 7500 deaths in Europe it should be taken very seriously.

Phil

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Meece said:

I know that we are all making jokes about bog rolls but the seriousness of the situation and the mindset is lost. everyone should know that the virus doesn't give you the rots.  So why isn't Boris or anyone else telling the masses that their wsting time and money by stocking up hundreds of toilet rolls?  Could it be that the supermarkets and all the supply chain plus the government making a big cash windfall out of it. If they were really interested in this situation they could ration purchase to say 4 rolls per customer. One of the daugnters went to Tesco in Hastings the other day at 9.15 am  for a normal shop and it was like a war zone.  A lot of shelves were empty.!!! Lunacy. A lot of what people are buying will probably end up beIng dumped in the bin.

People have probably looked at Preppers / Survival channels. The one thing they tell you to get above all else is toilet roll because it's the one thing there is no substitute for. I guess Grandma would say news paper but when the sh*t hits the fan, I'm guessing you won't be going out for a newspaper. You'll be too busy cleaning up with all those products you hoarded! ?

17 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

That's what I'm most annoyed about with the whole thing is the way the govt about turn coupled with bbc coverage is whipping people into a frenzy of fear.

I'm actually the opposite. I believe the panic is being caused because the Government is hiding the seriousness of the situation and being economical with the truth. People are seeing through it. eg. The UK Government announced this was a mild illness for most and only the odd person would die. Yesterday, they admitted it could be 250,000. They claimed the mortality rate in the UK is less than 1%. On their own figures, from the day before yesterday 1550 infected and 55 dead = 3.5% a figure inline with World Health Organisation Figures. (I haven't seen the figures for yesterday). If you run those figures against the population and their own eventual estimated 80% infection, the figure comes out between 1.5-2 MILLION dead.

If the Government wanted to stop panic they should have just been honest and said look this is the situation, it's going to last for 18 months. There's no point hoarding food because there's going to be plenty in the shops and you can't not leave the home for 18 months. Just carry on as normal but take reasonable precautions eg gloves, hand washing, masks if available, social distancing and avoid touching your face.

• Like 2

Beauty of our collective interests on here is how often we do it alone, just get stocked up on ammo!! I was out with semi auto at first light (3 crows & 2 tree rats less) and still haven't seen a single human. Bliss.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Alsone said:

People have probably looked at Preppers / Survival channels. The one thing they tell you to get above all else is toilet roll because it's the one thing there is no substitute for. I guess Grandma would say news paper but when the sh*t hits the fan, I'm guessing you won't be going out for a newspaper. You'll be too busy cleaning up with all those products you hoarded! ?

I'm actually the opposite. I believe the panic is being caused because the Government is hiding the seriousness of the situation and being economical with the truth. People are seeing through it. eg. The UK Government announced this was a mild illness for most and only the odd person would die. Yesterday, they admitted it could be 250,000. They claimed the mortality rate in the UK is less than 1%. On their own figures, from the day before yesterday 1550 infected and 55 dead = 3.5% a figure inline with World Health Organisation Figures. (I haven't seen the figures for yesterday). If you run those figures against the population and their own eventual estimated 80% infection, the figure comes out between 1.5-2 MILLION dead.

If the Government wanted to stop panic they should have just been honest and said look this is the situation, it's going to last for 18 months. There's no point hoarding food because there's going to be plenty in the shops and you can't not leave the home for 18 months. Just carry on as normal but take reasonable precautions eg gloves, hand washing, masks if available, social distancing and avoid touching your face.

Yeah, it's the sudden U turn two days go that has ramped up the fear though.

19 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Yeah, it's the sudden U turn two days go that has ramped up the fear though.

I calculated millions weeks ago. I was more afraid when they were lying. That's when you know they haven't got a clue what to do. I still believe they're being economical with the truth as I still believe the college's modelling whilst probably correct on the figures the Government has supplied, is coming out way low by almost a factor of 10, probably down to the Government estimating 50,000 infections without any data or evidence of how far along these invisible people are. Answer here is never trust the Government, and I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist although you wouldn't know it at the moment!

I also think this Government wants kicking out at the next election. This whole situation would never have happened if the Government had totally sealed the borders against all travel when the Chinese spread first started emerging and quarantined those Brits returning from abroad for a month in hospitals as they did with the 1st few for 2 weeks. The Government has let this infection in through stupidity in thinking keeping the borders open would protect the economy when in fact it's screwed it. They put money ahead of everyone's lives. Singapore and Russia have shown what tough policies can achieve if applied early. I personally can't vote for a Government that chose to risk killing me to try to save share values.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Alsone said:

This whole situation would never have happened if the Government had totally sealed the borders against all travel when the Chinese spread first started emerging and quarantined those Brits returning from abroad for a month in hospitals as they did with the 1st few for 2 weeks.

^^^^ this. Yep 100%

I said to missus other day that govt should be utterly ashamed that, as an island, we let this in. Too much PC at the start about quarantine & border control. 

15 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

They wanted it spread! To off load the care for the elderly bill!!

I said something very similar to my missus last night & she called me a paranoid pessimist. I suggested it could have been a man made virus, created in a lab in China. Now it either escaped involuntary or the world powers got together & decided drastic measures needed to address world overpopulation, climate change, world food shortages. Maybe I am paranoid but it could be a worldwide population cull. This is why they are keeping kids at school so they develop natural immunity & just wipe out the old fogeys who've had their time but are living too long costing more in social health care.

• Like 2