Kennelled Gundogs

How many of you lads are keeping your gundogs in kennels? 

A bloke I know who’s also a judges says he finds it makes a big difference, do you find it makes them better workers or easier to train? 

For those of you that do kennel em, how long as they in the kennel and how often / how long are they out for?

The keepers I know all kennel there dogs because of the number they have one of them has a spaniel in the house he says he has a better bond with her as he is with her more but I don't think it makes much difference to how they work 

• Like 1

Kennelled. Simply because I don't like dogs in the house and it means I can go for a night out without worrying about f***ing dogs, lol. Walked once a day, fed once a day, allowed the run of the yard for a couple hours a day. I love the summer months, simply because I get to spend more time just enjoying the dogs outside. Winter I'm less inclined to but equally they get worked then of course.

No idea if it makes for a better or worse dog but I'm damned sure it doesn't make for any less of a contented dog.

The only caveat I would add is that I wouldn't like a dog to be out on it's own all the time. they're so sociable. I'd consider pulling a dog in the house if I only had one.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Kennelled. Simply because I don't like dogs in the house and it means I can go for a night out without worrying about f***ing dogs, lol. Walked once a day, fed once a day, allowed the run of the yard for a couple hours a day. I love the summer months, simply because I get to spend more time just enjoying the dogs outside. Winter I'm less inclined to but equally they get worked then of course.

No idea if it makes for a better or worse dog but I'm damned sure it doesn't make for any less of a contented dog.

The only caveat I would add is that I wouldn't like a dog to be out on it's own all the time. they're so sociable. I'd consider pulling a dog in the house if I only had one.

Sounds fair mate ?? How long do they get walked for? 

I think in the season a dog worked hard benefits from a few days off in-between.

My spaniel did a full day beating the other week he was knackered for few days afterwards I didn’t do much with him for few days it wasn’t until a good 3 days after he was his usual self nagging me to go out. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think in the season a dog worked hard benefits from a few days off in-between.

My spaniel did a full day beating the other week he was knackered for few days afterwards I didn’t do much with him for few days it wasn’t until a good 3 days after he was his usual self nagging me to go out. 

About an hour. And I honestly don't think it's particularly necessary to get them out every single day. If they miss the odd day it makes no difference.

Dogs can become a bind if you let them.

If I get sick or injured or am just plain busy as f**k then they don't get walked, simple as. That's part of the reason I think it's important to have a bit of a yard for them to exercise in every day. I wouldn't like to leave a dog shut up 23hrs a day personally.

On 10/02/2020 at 12:32, Lloyd90 said:

A full day so you normally only go for half then? My two spaniels are indoors but have had them in kennels and crate trained them from young so if I ever wanted too put them out it wouldn’t be a problem, I don’t think being in a kennel or house makes a good hunting dog that’s down too the work you put in as an owner most dogs will hunt but too hunt controlled is a different ball game 

• Like 1