Lamber shotgun, faulty ejector

My wife bought me a new shotgun for Christmas, it's a nice gun and I took it out for a wander this afternoon in advance of using it on boxing day. It shot well enough but a cartridge somehow got past the ejector and wouldn't allow it to close. I managed to get it out but the ejector seems loose compared to the lower barrel one. 

Can it be adjusted or does it write the gun off? I will return the gun to the shop but i quite like it and it's a shame as it fits well.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Are the chambers clean? Have they got sticky preserving gunk in them?

Just a thought.

Not sure, it's just out the shop so I've not cleaned it. I'll give it a good going over and then try it again. The ejector works fine after the shot, it's when an unshot cartridge is sat in the breech on the ejector that the issue occurs. If it does it again I'll take some pics

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Oh. So it ejects fired hulls?

It shouldn't be ejecting unfired cartridges anyway!

Some singles eject all the time but I never heard of Lambers doing it!

Sorry, I obviously suck at explaining this lol. It ejects shot cartridges fine but when the unshot carts are in it, when it's over your arm open for instance, if you jiggle it in a particular way or touch the cartridge in the top barrel it slips past the ejector into the breech. You then can't close the gun as the ejector can't seat properly with the cartridge in the way. The cartridge won't come out either without mangling it with a leatherman. It doesn't do it all the time but as its new to me I'd rather it worked all the time. It's also the first gun that wife's bought for me and we went through quite a lot to find one that fitted me well.

• Like 1

I’ve got a lamber that did the same, it only did it once and that was when I lent it to a mate... I’d been given some home loads that wouldn’t cycle in a mates auto, like Wilber above mentioned the case brass wasn’t as bold as the other brands I use and it’s never done it with any others and has had a lot through it..

it was a right pain getting the mangled one out though:(

56 minutes ago, si brown said:

I’ve got a lamber that did the same, it only did it once and that was when I lent it to a mate... I’d been given some home loads that wouldn’t cycle in a mates auto, like Wilber above mentioned the case brass wasn’t as bold as the other brands I use and it’s never done it with any others and has had a lot through it..

it was a right pain getting the mangled one out though:(

It was a pain, we managed it in the end with a leatherman and a hazel stick.

These are clear pigeon I think, they do have small caps. I'm using it tomorrow with a few different mates so I'll experiment with a few other brands. 

If it persists I'll go get the calipers and have a measure up of chambers and cartridges. If I can resolve it with a change of ammo brand that would be good.

It's heartening to know that yours did it once and didn't repeat it 

It is not so much of a rare issue and as said earlier, some cartridges can be quite tricky. When I first bought my Beretta DT10, Cheddite shells would sometimes get stuck yet they are one of the worlds top competition loads so I had the gun sorted by the rfd. It is worth trying a few different cartridges and Eley is a good bet as they seem to have a sightly wider rim but it is not a major job to 'adjust' the ejector to run very slightly tighter however not a job for me, give it to the rfd imo.

One thing I am not too sure of is if the unfired cartridge is easy to spin/move around the chamber or does it stick at all. Some cartridges can look very slightly bulky with a definite shape of shot sticking out of the cartridge hull wall which might be just enough to make ejection sometimes sticky and if you have NO issues with empty cartridges, I suspect you have some cartridges which have had a little too much pressure during the manufacture. I will take a small wager that if you look at a few different makes of shells, you will find a few with the cartridge walls not perfectly smooth which is many guns is not a problem just some guns.

My rfd showed me a trick to clean out ANY rubbish from a barrel or chamber is to get a cleaning jag but instead of wrapping a cleaning patch in it, use a piece of 3M Scotchbrite pad (the green scouring pad you have on the back of sponges ) then with the jag on the cleaning rod. put that in an cordless drill. With a small squirt of barrel clean, run the drill for 10 - 20 secs, ti cleans everything with no damage to the barrel because it is only a nylon scourer.

Hope you get it sorted.

Phil

It shot perfectly yesterday, although I didn't lol. It doesnt seem to be so bad with other cartridges but i think I will still take it back to the gun shop it came from and see if they can do anything to tighten it up

• Like 1