Out in the fog

It wasn't foggy when we started last night but it wasn't long before the fog started descending. It was very frustrating as we saw a fair few foxes through the thermal but the lamp just made the scope red out.

After about an hour we saw a dog fox sitting at the base of a tree. Using our ninja training we got a bit closer so that I could see it through the scope. I took the shot and it went down but was thrashing about a bit. I didn't want to take the chance of it running off into the fog before we got to it so I took a second shot to be sure and that did the trick.

We persevered for a while after that and saw a few but the fog was making it too hard to be sure of being safe so we knocked it on the head.

Still even one fox is better than being stuck in front of the tv.

36 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Good on you for getting out. It was a proper pea souper up last night and it hasn’t lifted all day where I’ve been working and now we are forecast rain, I just want clear and cold ? is that to much to ask ☹️

The rain is here now stav. Stoke.

It's a wonder that you managed to see anything at all. Numerous times I've gone out the back door and it's been slightly misty.  Ive driven out and when I get out on the land I drive round the yard black , quiet. Then I've  walked onto the first field,  turned the lamp on to be faced with a wall of white. I tried different colours of filter. Red, Orange, blue, green,  blue, mauve, yellow and none of them made the slightest bit of difference. I tried my IR night vision and that was just as bad. So whenever I saw that it was  misty outside I stood down and took the dog for a walk up the road. Instead or if it was moonlight we'd walk the fields black.  I know the ground so it is easy to walk the fields black under moonlight even if it is Foggy and the dog cruises around as if it is daylight.

• Like 1