plinking good fun

got a text of my mate this morning showing his goose bashing exploits,

as he had the day off to supervise a kitchen fitter putting right the kitchen he'd just paid a fortune for :hmm:

after he'd got done he gave me a nod as im in Christmas chill out too,, so we met up at the quarry for a mega plink/ homeload testing session!

I took me .223 and 6.5x55 and he took his cz hmr witch he calls his weasel gun:laugh: he dropped it last night so wanted to check his zero!

my plan was to rattle off every cartridge I had as I want the brass for the winning loads. 

put a few targets on an old tv and set up and few paint tins at 100yrd.. bore sighted my two rifles as id had a scope swap round,

sorted the 6.5 first and was on the money within 4 shots... put a load more through for the brass and let me mate have a crack with it, he was loving it.. hitting rocks and paint tins at over 200yrd!

then it was time to test the 55gn Nosler's as theres been a massive fox influx over the last couple of weeks, ive seen a fair few and three last night while I was out on the rabbits but didn't have the right tool for the job.. sods law!

bore sighted it and got it more or less on the money then checked the groups.. we shot off loads and I saved a round from the best batch to clone,

I thought my group was ok and would of been happy with that as a Fox round but watching my mate through the weasel scope I saw him put 5 through the same hole,

thought that'll do for me.. he loves the set trigger on the 85 but im not to into it, I backed off the first trigger and that suits me way more!

was a shock to shoot the hmr last as the 6.5 throwing 156gn deer stoppers has a fair kick.. got to say im more than happy with this bergara,

it grouped straight out of the box and is a nice bit of kit all round I cant find a fault to pick and half the price of my Sako!

all in all a right good afternoon :good:

ABC90E35-583F-4A04-9D5E-803DC5ED77BB_1_201_a.jpeg.3ed040caccea85ed1f2b96a395673ca6.jpeg

the6.5

82DA44B8-2538-437A-A475-8E034F7D42AB_1_201_a.jpeg.e828c26869a53f89c03b8de8876500a6.jpeg

the .223

A1047713-FE34-40C1-ABB8-2C820AC1D081_1_201_a.jpeg.71b8c5b71094386946be14541bcb3cbb.jpeg

• Like 6

Can't fault you si with your choice of 6.5. it's a classic round that shoots pencil long bullets that just go on and on and on.

Mine was a T3 lite and plinking off hand over 600 yards was a giggle.

Your mate wants to watch that hmr on weasels! Them little monkeys are fast and have teeth! Personally I would go with 45/70 for a dedicated weasel rig.

SD.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just as  a matter of interest, what bore sighter do you use, only ones I've ever had chance to borrow, have been the chinese cartridge type or the stuff in the end of the barrel, all been not worth investing in to be honest, I am a tight wad like but with the cheap chinese stuff, you'd normally be better off just chucking your cash in landfill ?

Edited by Gav
Sausage fingers
12 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Not speaking for Si but I remove the bolt, fix the rifle down, squint at a distant subject down the bore then without moving the rifle look where the scope reticle is.

Thats my usual method too,never far off using the ole squinty eye method huh ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gav said:

Just as  a matter of interest, what bore sighter do you use, only ones I've ever had chance to borrow, have been the chinese cartridge type or the stuff in the end of the barrel, all been not worth investing in to be honest, I am a tight wad like but with the cheap chinese stuff, you'd normally be better off just chucking your cash in landfill ?

I’ve got a cheap chinky thing for the 223 that will put me on paper at 100 but just used bipod and a shoe box today with me mince pies... both were within 8” at 100?

the cheap chink thing has to be done on chimneys at home when it’s dark, crap in the day. 

Edited by si brown
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

A cracking way to spend a few hours, I can’t remember the last time I took a few different rifles out to fling some rounds about, them bergara’s are a lovely, it’s a shame I can’t get one in .22-250 lefty 

It is a shame cos there a decent bit of kit for the money, one of my mates uses a synthetic stock one in the same cal and recommend giving it a go.. 

im out with it now, just having a quick Brew ?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

That’s just reminded me, been in the back of the truck since Monday....

A9713820-DA21-4B91-B1D6-456E4DD6DF59.jpeg

A420520E-A980-401A-9044-CDE8DCF21718.jpeg

Haha... good job it’s cold at the moment, found a couple of pigeons in a bag from the weekend I’d forgot about the kitchen Last night..would of been stinking in summer 

• Haha 1