How time have changed.

2 hours ago, jetro said:

I wonder how the family that lived here were preparing for their first Christmas in their new home.  What the children were expecting from santy. 

Simpler times, not without its hardships, but probably a better pace of life than today's one.

Atb j 

20191205_093028.jpg

I always look at those places and the weather and think that must have been some hard life mate.

No f***ing shoes and all that turnout in bog land in winter.....f**k that 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, WILF said:

I always look at those places and the weather and think that must have been some hard life mate.

No f***ing shoes and all that turnout in bog land in winter.....f**k that 

My family home is across the road from this old ruin.

We were raised in exactly the same type of house.

The land was kept a lot better them day when these houses were newly bulit, cause that all they had to live off, and a bit of fishing. 

I found some rent payments my g,g,grandfather was making to the English in 1842, two pound a year, to humanity dick, the man that set up the rspca. 

There was eight acres with that and seaweed rights, plus bogs.

Atb j 

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, jetro said:

The land was kept a lot better them day when these houses were newly bulit, cause that all they had to live off, and a bit of fishing. 

I found some rent payments my g,g,grandfather was making to the English in 1842, two pound a year, to humanity dick, the man that set up the rspca. 

Atb j 

There’s one in the field next door to me mate, the bloke who owns it his family have been in this same town land for 400 years ! 
Funny you say about the land, old farmer up the road says they used to take hay off my land !!

All I have been doing is battling f***ing rushes for the last 5 years.

29 minutes ago, WILF said:

There’s one in the field next door to me mate, the bloke who owns it his family have been in this same town land for 400 years ! 
Funny you say about the land, old farmer up the road says they used to take hay off my land !!

All I have been doing is battling f***ing rushes for the last 5 years.

LOL, once them rushes get in, their a nightmare to get rid off.

Atb j 

4 hours ago, jetro said:

Atb j 

Can't have been that bad if it had more than one toilet and that's one hell of a stammer......??

• Haha 1

I'm the same with old stuff like that - can't help but stop and wonder about what it would have been like or, how the people there would have been. 

I once had an old musket pistol that I sat and looked at for ages one night - I would love to know what it had been involved in over the years - who made it, who owned it, who used it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I'm the same with old stuff like that - can't help but stop and wonder about what it would have been like or, how the people there would have been. 

I once had an old musket pistol that I sat and looked at for ages one night - I would love to know what it had been involved in over the years - who made it, who owned it, who used it.

You have to admire the craftsmanship they had. Just to pull or quarry out the granite, by fire and sledge. If you seen these in person there as straight and square. No dewalt or health and safety them days lol.

Atb j

• Like 2

I knocked down an old stone barn on my place, the amount of stone that came out of it was amazing.

Got me thinking how much toil went into gathering the stone never mind building it.....all that stone was gathered and moved by hand.

The old part of my house is over 100 years old but it has unfortunately “benefitted” from and 80s makeover of pebble dash on the outside and plasterboard on the inside.

Its a b*****d for damp mind as the floors have just been laid on dirt.

Its got to come down at some point and the shame is it will be cheaper to level it than to pick all the modern shit off, sort the floors and foundation.

Be some lovely stone in it too.....bit gutting really.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, WILF said:

I knocked down an old stone barn on my place, the amount of stone that came out of it was amazing.

Got me thinking how much toil went into gathering the stone never mind building it.....all that stone was gathered and moved by hand.

The old part of my house is over 100 years old but it has unfortunately “benefitted” from and 80s makeover of pebble dash on the outside and plasterboard on the inside.

Its a b*****d for damp mind as the floors have just been laid on dirt.

Its got to come down at some point and the shame is it will be cheaper to level it than to pick all the modern shit off, sort the floors and foundation.

Be some lovely stone in it too.....bit gutting really.

Thsts a real shame wilf. 

Can you not dry line it ?.

I know when they knocked our old house in 1992, the wall were 3ft thick in places. As you said the amount of stone was unbelievable.  This house was built in the early 1800s.

Wish I had it today

10 hours ago, jetro said:

I wonder how the family that lived here were preparing for their first Christmas in their new home.  What the children were expecting from santy. 

Simpler times, not without its hardships, but probably a better pace of life than today's one.

Atb j 

20191205_093028.jpg

Think if will get this enlarged and framed. Quite like it now the more I see it 

Atb j 

• Like 1

This is where I spent the  first ten Years of my  life no Gas, Electricity, Water from a well, I would not like to live like that now but then it was home , I have many memories of that place but for the life of me I cannot remember going to Bed .

009.JPG

• Like 3