Hornady Varmint Express .22 LR ammo

I bought a pack of the above rimfire shells to try out in my Tikka Tx1 and today I gave them a run. They sit at 1160fps which is certainly faster than RWS Field Line subs but not as fast as CCI Stingers (1640fps).

20191023_192525_zps4enbvcsi.jpg

20191023_192552_zpsasx5wqp3.jpg

The tests today were very limited as both time and conditions were against me but on the somewhat brief test, I have to say that the RWS served me well in the past and my go to sub shell but I rather like these Hornady shells, not too noisy and certainly less noise than the Stingers along with being a smoother shell to use. I need to get plenty more shots done with the Hornady but so far so good.

I would be interested to have any feedback from others who have tried them.

Phil

Just now, Sausagedog said:

So they break the sound barrier?

A touch quicker than standard velocity and a shade slower than normal HV.

Sound interesting. Might make autos super reliable!

I want some.

You got it.

I bought them from Forest Lodge Guns in Wragby, Market Rasen, Lincs if that is anywhere near you. I have not seen them in another two RFD's but I am sure plenty of others will have them.

Phil

I was only out to 66mt today as the ground was very uneven and I had only got a 6'' bipod so seeing the target was tricky, linked to that the wind was getting stronger every minute. Normally we take a table and chair to set up a decent shooting position in the quarry but we couldn't do that today. My groups were about 1'' at 66mt but laying on the ground was not very comfortable trying to see through the scope in what was bloody low sight position.

Let us just say they show good promise and I will be doing some more tests hopefully next week other wise as I am going into hospital for an eye operation the week after so will be out of commission for a few weeks after. It is worth saying that I am shooting left handed at the moment as my right eye is buggered until the operation and I can get back to shooting right handed again and I can't wait. Of course my excuse for poor shooting will be lost after the operation ?

Phil

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, philpot said:

You got it.

I bought them from Forest Lodge Guns in Wragby, Market Rasen, Lincs if that is anywhere near you. I have not seen them in another two RFD's but I am sure plenty of others will have them.

Phil

I love that shop, haven’t been in for a few years though. Atb with your operation Phil ?

• Thanks 1

I just had a look on Livens website and they have them as well, also sk high velocity hp’s. I might call in next time and pick up a box of each. I like the way high velocity .22’s shoot out to ninety like subs shoot to sixty and the noise doesn’t seem to bother the rabbits or squirrels any more than subs usually.

• Like 2