Alternative to v-max?

I use to use Speer tnt, they weren't to bad. Sierra soft points are also good as mentioned.

Nosler ballistic tips don't seem to be as messy as v max in my experience.

Personally I prefere a tougher bullet than these thin jacketed explosive types.

I have seen several times shallow wounds from super fast frangible bullets!

Rifling type can play a huge role in how the jacket peels open too! So one rifle can make more mess than another with the same bullet at the same speed!

On 01/10/2019 at 08:18, walshie said:

What do you fire your 555 gr bullets out of? A Howitzer? :laugh:

I wondered why they had such a high terminal effect . Blimey .. a 555grn bullet would be near 20 oz. 1.1/4 lb. !!!  Good job I'm using the 55grn version . I think that the  bullet is #1390. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Meece said:

I wondered why they had such a high terminal effect . Blimey .. a 555grn bullet would be near 20 oz. 1.1/4 lb. !!!  Good job I'm using the 55grn version . I think that the  bullet is #1390. 

Mate, it's only about an ounce and a quarter.

A top 45/70 bullet is 500grn.

About a 11g ball in pure lead, oops, did I say that out loud.

• Haha 1

Clang. To many late nights. Getting  me grns and grams mixed up .... IE.  28 grams = 1oz.  ..... 7000 Grns = 1lb. Anyway the 55 grain Sierra Gameking BTHP is my favoured bullet in my 223.  Good hunting.

• Like 2

Problem solved. I'll just put my excellent fieldcraft and stealth to one side and shoot them from further away. :D Took this dog fox last night at about 200 yards. Not messy at all.

20191008_213040.jpg.c84a8a95a9b46ea77621c845d61cf366.jpg

Seriously though, when my current stock of v-max runs out I'll try a few alternatives. 

Very complicated area.

Energy, calibre, distance, bullet type, quarry etc etc etc 

V-Max types are destructive for quick kills, they work well and passthrough (if any) tends to be a mass of shrapnel which doesn't usually travel far.

I am watching with interest! :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Elliott said:

I used 52gr HPBT Sierra's in my 223 for a while before I moved onto 53gr V-Max. They grouped tremendously well with Vhit 133 and worked well on the foxes, too ??

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/22-caliber-52-gr-hpbt-matchking/

I shot my longest fox ever many moons ago now with Speers version of the same bullet.

• Like 1