Jump to content

calluses on toes


Recommended Posts


17 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Look "knocked up" so likely result of dislocations rather than breaks, both vet and bone man should have given you advice re likely outcome and management.

There hard lumps not swollen both said calluses bone man said they won’t be a problem they can be run on she had 6 weeks rest from another injury so had plenty of rest with lead walks ..then another 1 has gone like it he said to use Iodised oil on them witch I have with b radiol both said no breaks or dislocated just calluse over witch I don’t understand how it happen she’s normally got good tight feet they look a mess now 

Link to post

The treatment after it happens is bone radial the area twice a day for a week to ten days mag box on full power for an hour everyday if you have one, leader walks for four weeks then gently back into running preparation.

After a lay off such as the summer when they get rested from running old injury's such as these can sometimes hurt the dog again when the exercise and running is stepped up again. I bone radial mag box again for a week to ten days and step the exercise up gradually, it usually does the trick. Teadmills are ideal for getting the dogs back from this type of injury.

The ground is like bell metal at the moment not ideal for bringing a dog back from injury's such as these.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 1
Link to post
24 minutes ago, laidlaw22 said:

There hard lumps not swollen both said calluses bone man said they won’t be a problem they can be run on she had 6 weeks rest from another injury so had plenty of rest with lead walks ..then another 1 has gone like it he said to use Iodised oil on them witch I have with b radiol both said no breaks or dislocated just calluse over witch I don’t understand how it happen she’s normally got good tight feet they look a mess now 

They're hard because its bone, as the edges of the joint get damaged new growth forms, like bony scar tissue, plus the initial injury weakens the tendons supporting the toe which means its more likely to happen again which generally weakens the foot increasing the risk of it happening to other toes. The toe joint can be surgically fixed in place but its not ideal and with multiple toes involved would likely have a negative effect. 

I'd except the limitations of the dog and try to pick soft ground to run it as much as possible then lay off as reqd  when they flare up, lead walk when they do flare up and use an anti inflammatory like metacam as this slow the formation of the new bony spurs, gently mobilize the toe, within bounds of pain etc to try to maintain range of motion.

Alas no real "cure" for this one just management.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
5 minutes ago, sandymere said:

They're hard because its bone, as the edges of the joint get damaged new growth forms, like bony scar tissue, plus the initial injury weakens the tendons supporting the toe which means its more likely to happen again which generally weakens the foot increasing the risk of it happening to other toes. The toe joint can be surgically fixed in place but its not ideal and with multiple toes involved would likely have a negative effect. 

I'd except the limitations of the dog and try to pick soft ground to run it as much as possible then lay off as reqd  when they flare up, lead walk when they do flare up and use an anti inflammatory like metacam as this slow the formation of the new bony spurs, gently mobilize the toe, within bounds of pain etc to try to maintain range of motion.

Alas no real "cure" for this one just management.

 

A good explanation there sandy better than just sticking a few links up.

Ive seen a callus toe never bother some dogs again, while others need management.

IMO callus is good and easy managed unlike a dislocation that doesn't callus! 

 

Link to post
11 minutes ago, joe ox said:

A good explanation there sandy better than just sticking a few links up.

Ive seen a callus toe never bother some dogs again, while others need management.

IMO callus is good and easy managed unlike a dislocation that doesn't callus! 

 

Not many studies to link to so it had to be my opinion lol. I've had a few, some were rarely a problem others a pain in the ar*s. A dog with good feet that is unlucky enough to get one has the best outcome as the rest of the toes can support but a dog with dodgy feet doesn't have the extra support to so it tends to be a slippery slope to early retirement

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, joe ox said:

The treatment after it happens is bone radial the area twice a day for a week to ten days mag box on full power for an hour everyday if you have one, leader walks for four weeks then gently back into running preparation.

After a lay off such as the summer when they get rested from running old injury's such as these can sometimes hurt the dog again when the exercise and running is stepped up again. I bone radial mag box again for a week to ten days and step the exercise up gradually, it usually does the trick. Teadmills are ideal for getting the dogs back from this type of injury.

The ground is like bell metal at the moment not ideal for bringing a dog back from injury's such as these.

Yeah I understand I’ve never  experienced  It before 1st time for me been a night mare I havnt got a magbox but been looking to get 1 her toes have been fine for years never had a problem just my luck the beginning of the season 

Link to post
3 hours ago, sandymere said:

maintain

 

3 hours ago, sandymere said:

They're hard because its bone, as the edges of the joint get damaged new growth forms, like bony scar tissue, plus the initial injury weakens the tendons supporting the toe which means its more likely to happen again which generally weakens the foot increasing the risk of it happening to other toes. The toe joint can be surgically fixed in place but its not ideal and with multiple toes involved would likely have a negative effect. 

I'd except the limitations of the dog and try to pick soft ground to run it as much as possible then lay off as reqd  when they flare up, lead walk when they do flare up and use an anti inflammatory like metacam as this slow the formation of the new bony spurs, gently mobilize the toe, within bounds of pain etc to try to maintain range of motion.

Alas no real "cure" for this one just management.

 

How would you say to maintain them ? 

I  regular check them 2s-3 times a day putting b radiol on them  bathing them gently moving them with a  massage  lead walks i use  metacam when they swell up but this time they havnt swell up the vet give me a course of it the other day I’ve been giving her it daily but there’s no swelling there 

Link to post
57 minutes ago, sandymere said:

That's pretty much what I'd do along with being careful about where and when I run em.👍

Yeah some times it’s harder than saying lol I’m hoping I can pick a second dog just for times like this I’m planing on putting her in pup in the near future nothing worse not having a dog to run 😠 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Smashing reds
      Could anyone help me out, I'm looking to hard wire my lamp directly to my tracer battery. The cigarette lighter connections keep breaking 🤬🤬
    • By Daviddavies
      Wots the difference between a 2oo quid dog an a 500 quid dog
    • By Lampinglad96
      Having recently acquired a pup of 10 months old a little saluki collie hound 22tts and gained her trust and got her recall spot over the last number of weeks I decided to try her lamping. The first night couldn't have been better condition wise, high wind heavy cloud cover and no moon. Having tried implement some of David Sleights techniques into her training and being unsuccessful I said what the hell and took her out on her own. Kicked two squatters (bare in mind she has never seen a rabbit) out of the grass for her but she just seemed to be unaware of the rabbit and was completely oblivious to what I wanted her to do.
       
      Yesterday a friend offered me to go out with his bitch to try bring her on and make something click maybe so I said I'd give it a go. I let her watch his bitch kill the first three rabbits and she keen to join in and was watching the rabbit on lamp. 4th rabbit I let her go with his bitch and she flew down to the rabbit with the dog but lost it on the turn out of pure chance his bitch turned the rabbit right into her nose and she grabbed it held for a bit dropped it and grabbed again she got a good squeal and seemed keen I was chuffed and thought one more like that and I will give her a run on her own. Up gets a rabbit in the middle of the field and on my friends bitch goes and I slip mine they turn the rabbit 4/5 times and I can see my bitch is  in and out of the race and then disaster she turns just before the other bitch and bang gets blind sided by her she lets a couple of yelps out of her and initially I think there is big trouble but she gets up and hobbles back to me with a cough or two out of her she shakes herself and gets going again. Im guessing she just got winded. I give her a half hour and she's back to herself but not as keen. The light goes on and one squats so I walk right up to her with my bitch and kick it out of the grass she sees it jogs after it and returns to me. He slips his bitch and she picks it and a big squeal goes out but my bitch has lost all interest in the game and we call it a night.
       
      Whats your lads opinions on it? have you seen this before? Have I ruined her as she associates lamping with that slap she got now or was she just shook having been hit? Bear in mind I know you shouldn't run two dogs on the lamp together but  I was out of options with her she's the first pup I've had not really take to it and struggle to get going. She seems fine today 
    • By Saluki x Whippet
      Hi lads , I’ve a 15 week old saluki whippet , can anyone recommend a good kibble 16-18% protein , I’ve had her on 33% protein but want to lower it now , any info would be appreciated 
    • By Welshy
      Anybody got any gwp x lurcher pups 
×
×
  • Create New...