calluses on toes

17 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Look "knocked up" so likely result of dislocations rather than breaks, both vet and bone man should have given you advice re likely outcome and management.

There hard lumps not swollen both said calluses bone man said they won’t be a problem they can be run on she had 6 weeks rest from another injury so had plenty of rest with lead walks ..then another 1 has gone like it he said to use Iodised oil on them witch I have with b radiol both said no breaks or dislocated just calluse over witch I don’t understand how it happen she’s normally got good tight feet they look a mess now 

The treatment after it happens is bone radial the area twice a day for a week to ten days mag box on full power for an hour everyday if you have one, leader walks for four weeks then gently back into running preparation.

After a lay off such as the summer when they get rested from running old injury's such as these can sometimes hurt the dog again when the exercise and running is stepped up again. I bone radial mag box again for a week to ten days and step the exercise up gradually, it usually does the trick. Teadmills are ideal for getting the dogs back from this type of injury.

The ground is like bell metal at the moment not ideal for bringing a dog back from injury's such as these.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, laidlaw22 said:

There hard lumps not swollen both said calluses bone man said they won’t be a problem they can be run on she had 6 weeks rest from another injury so had plenty of rest with lead walks ..then another 1 has gone like it he said to use Iodised oil on them witch I have with b radiol both said no breaks or dislocated just calluse over witch I don’t understand how it happen she’s normally got good tight feet they look a mess now 

They're hard because its bone, as the edges of the joint get damaged new growth forms, like bony scar tissue, plus the initial injury weakens the tendons supporting the toe which means its more likely to happen again which generally weakens the foot increasing the risk of it happening to other toes. The toe joint can be surgically fixed in place but its not ideal and with multiple toes involved would likely have a negative effect. 

I'd except the limitations of the dog and try to pick soft ground to run it as much as possible then lay off as reqd  when they flare up, lead walk when they do flare up and use an anti inflammatory like metacam as this slow the formation of the new bony spurs, gently mobilize the toe, within bounds of pain etc to try to maintain range of motion.

Alas no real "cure" for this one just management.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, sandymere said:

They're hard because its bone, as the edges of the joint get damaged new growth forms, like bony scar tissue, plus the initial injury weakens the tendons supporting the toe which means its more likely to happen again which generally weakens the foot increasing the risk of it happening to other toes. The toe joint can be surgically fixed in place but its not ideal and with multiple toes involved would likely have a negative effect. 

I'd except the limitations of the dog and try to pick soft ground to run it as much as possible then lay off as reqd  when they flare up, lead walk when they do flare up and use an anti inflammatory like metacam as this slow the formation of the new bony spurs, gently mobilize the toe, within bounds of pain etc to try to maintain range of motion.

A good explanation there sandy better than just sticking a few links up.

Ive seen a callus toe never bother some dogs again, while others need management.

IMO callus is good and easy managed unlike a dislocation that doesn't callus! 

11 minutes ago, joe ox said:

A good explanation there sandy better than just sticking a few links up.

Ive seen a callus toe never bother some dogs again, while others need management.

IMO callus is good and easy managed unlike a dislocation that doesn't callus! 

Not many studies to link to so it had to be my opinion lol. I've had a few, some were rarely a problem others a pain in the ar*s. A dog with good feet that is unlucky enough to get one has the best outcome as the rest of the toes can support but a dog with dodgy feet doesn't have the extra support to so it tends to be a slippery slope to early retirement

• Like 1
4 hours ago, joe ox said:

The treatment after it happens is bone radial the area twice a day for a week to ten days mag box on full power for an hour everyday if you have one, leader walks for four weeks then gently back into running preparation.

After a lay off such as the summer when they get rested from running old injury's such as these can sometimes hurt the dog again when the exercise and running is stepped up again. I bone radial mag box again for a week to ten days and step the exercise up gradually, it usually does the trick. Teadmills are ideal for getting the dogs back from this type of injury.

The ground is like bell metal at the moment not ideal for bringing a dog back from injury's such as these.

Yeah I understand I’ve never  experienced  It before 1st time for me been a night mare I havnt got a magbox but been looking to get 1 her toes have been fine for years never had a problem just my luck the beginning of the season 

3 hours ago, sandymere said:

maintain

3 hours ago, sandymere said:

How would you say to maintain them ? 

I  regular check them 2s-3 times a day putting b radiol on them  bathing them gently moving them with a  massage  lead walks i use  metacam when they swell up but this time they havnt swell up the vet give me a course of it the other day I’ve been giving her it daily but there’s no swelling there 

57 minutes ago, sandymere said:

That's pretty much what I'd do along with being careful about where and when I run em.👍

Yeah some times it’s harder than saying lol I’m hoping I can pick a second dog just for times like this I’m planing on putting her in pup in the near future nothing worse not having a dog to run 😠