South Yorkshire Shooting and Game Fair

I did wonder that myself, perhaps an error but whatever, I will be looking at them very soon, maybe this week. This will be the first chance I will have to get to handle both the Tikka and the CZ 457 in order to be absolutely sure.

Phil

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right Mitch. My wife and I went to Forest Lodge Guns today with the main purpose to compare three rifles, the Tikka T1x, CZ 457 Royal & MTR and finally the Anschutz 1416 thumbhole and sporting sto

Yeah, they look nice, really nice ?,and probably are really good. I’d be very very tempted if I was seriously looking for another rimfire at the moment. If it’s a long term investment and what you wan

We are now in September and the Doncaster show on Sat. 28th and Sun 29th of Sept. will be here in no time at all so who is coming this year.  Trish and I will be coming home on the Saturday from

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, philpot said:

I did wonder that myself, perhaps an error but whatever, I will be looking at them very soon, maybe this week. This will be the first chance I will have to get to handle both the Tikka and the CZ 457 in order to be absolutely sure.

Phil

Let us know Phil on your findings 

The one thing puts my of Tikka , is the plastic stock , CZ seem to have nicer stocks 

By the way I have been found out on the airgun forum again  under the name FX shooter . Don’t worry I will be back on very soon :laugh:

• Haha 1

It is plastic but I can tell you that it feels really good compared to guns like the Browning T-bolt range and as Sean will confirm, you can add a sleeve to fill out the forend and a different shape pistol grip in order to change the FEEL. the rifle also has some embedded rubber in the plastic to offer superb grip. I was impressed just how nice it feels in the shoulder.

I recall thinking how crap the Impact looked to me UNTIL I had hold of it and once in the shoulder, I had to have it, I am not saying the Tikka is exactly like that but it does have presence in the shoulder that sticks in my mind. Of course I have not had hold of the 457 yet so we will see.

Phil

Right Mitch. My wife and I went to Forest Lodge Guns today with the main purpose to compare three rifles, the Tikka T1x, CZ 457 Royal & MTR and finally the Anschutz 1416 thumbhole and sporting stock versions.

Lets get the CZ out of the way................................fcuking awful. The MTR which looks superb in my eyes, has a really strange pistol grip with no possibility of having your thumb over the top of the stock, instead it is designed with the thumb upright position and the balance is not good. The Royal version again has an unusual balance and to be honest the 455 is a better value rifle, in fact the importers, Edgar Brothers are trying to get CZ to continue to make the 455 they are so unhappy with them. To my mind, they no longer represent the value for money that CZ is famed for. Don't bother waiting for one mate in my humble opinion.

The Anschutz thumbhole stock felt really nice to the point that I was very tempted but the practical aspect in the field put me off but nevertheless I liked it very much. The rfd owner said perhaps in the field at night, it could be asking for trouble with this stock as the stock could break if clouted, fair point but if it was for range work, spot on.  The sporting stock version did nothing for me in terms of stock dimensions, just did not feel right and exactly the issues I had with my old Anschutz but of course I would not for one second dispute the accuracy of these guns. I tried before to get a custom stock like the GRS but they don't make them for Anschutz so I guess it is just me who is not comfortable with them.

Now we come to the Tikka..................................................................nuff said.

20191001_164515_zpsidoqqtxx.jpg

20191001_164524_zpsghxebek5.jpg

I had no hesitation with strong words of wisdom from the shop owner and the volume he sells made me feel at ease regarding the problems you reported and after all these rifles are made by Sako and there lies a very strong pedigree.   I bought a new scope to go with it in the shape of a Hawke Vantage, s/f, w/a 4-16 x 50mm which I was very impressed with at the show. A nice set of Sportmatch mounts, spare mag, Sak mod and some Hornady HV ammo. A good deal was done with some of these extras being thrown in foc.

One thing I must stress is that the cocking bolt on the Tikka is both very fast but also very smooth and to my mind better than both the Anschutz and CZ rifles I looked at, in fact it is virtually as fast to cock as the Browning T-bolt which is a straight pull. I should say that my shooting pal has two Browning T-bolt rifles and I don not like them at all, feel cheap and so were not in the equasion today.

I did have a look at the forend modification to thicken the forend and I do confess I quite like it but I am going to use the gun and see if I still fancy one.

Happy chappie. ?

Phil

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, philpot said:

Right Mitch. My wife and I went to Forest Lodge Guns today with the main purpose to compare three rifles, the Tikka T1x, CZ 457 Royal & MTR and finally the Anschutz 1416 thumbhole and sporting stock versions.

Lets get the CZ out of the way................................fcuking awful. The MTR which looks superb in my eyes, has a really strange pistol grip with no possibility of having your thumb over the top of the stock, instead it is designed with the thumb upright position and the balance is not good. The Royal version again has an unusual balance and to be honest the 455 is a better value rifle, in fact the importers, Edgar Brothers are trying to get CZ to continue to make the 455 they are so unhappy with them. To my mind, they no longer represent the value for money that CZ is famed for. Don't bother waiting for one mate in my humble opinion.

The Anschutz thumbhole stock felt really nice to the point that I was very tempted but the practical aspect in the field put me off but nevertheless I liked it very much. The rfd owner said perhaps in the field at night, it could be asking for trouble with this stock as the stock could break if clouted, fair point but if it was for range work, spot on.  The sporting stock version did nothing for me in terms of stock dimensions, just did not feel right and exactly the issues I had with my old Anschutz but of course I would not for one second dispute the accuracy of these guns. I tried before to get a custom stock like the GRS but they don't make them for Anschutz so I guess it is just me who is not comfortable with them.

Now we come to the Tikka..................................................................nuff said.

I had no hesitation with strong words of wisdom from the shop owner and the volume he sells made me feel at ease regarding the problems you reported and after all these rifles are made by Sako and there lies a very strong pedigree.   I bought a new scope to go with it in the shape of a Hawke Vantage, s/f, w/a 4-16 x 50mm which I was very impressed with at the show. A nice set of Sportmatch mounts, spare mag, Sak mod and some Hornady HV ammo. A good deal was done with some of these extras being thrown in foc.

I did have a look at the forend modification to thicken the forend and I do confess I quite like it but I am going to use the gun and see if I still fancy one.

Happy chappie. ?

Phil

Took my advice after all lol, much better feel with the accessories on the stock, I've just ordered them for the 17hmr as I fitted them to my 22lr & the gun feels much better than standard. 

• Like 1

Nice write up Phil . You are not the first to say that about 457 , I think viz said the same to me . 

My local had a Anschutz 1761 , my god that was nice ,  better safety bolt , seems to be smother and just felt nice , but £1150 , which I thought was a lot of money until he pointed out that I spent the best part of £3000 on two air guns 

keep us updated Phil on your tikka :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 01/10/2019 at 17:26, philpot said:

One thing I must stress is that the cocking bolt on the Tikka is both very fast but also very smooth and to my mind better than both the Anschutz and CZ rifles I looked at, in fact it is virtually as fast to cock as the Browning T-bolt which is a straight pull. I should say that my shooting pal has two Browning T-bolt rifles and I don not like them at all, feel cheap and so were not in the equasion today.

Happy chappie. ?

Phil

I’ve got to agree about the new cz 457. I didn’t like them at all. In fact, I prefer my 452 to the 455 and 457. To me the 455 looks like a costcut version of the 452 and that new 457, well ?.  CZ are going in the wrong direction for me. Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1
On 01/10/2019 at 18:39, villaman said:

Nice write up Phil . You are not the first to say that about 457 , I think viz said the same to me . 

My local had a Anschutz 1761 , my god that was nice ,  better safety bolt , seems to be smother and just felt nice , but £1150 , which I thought was a lot of money until he pointed out that I spent the best part of £3000 on two air guns 

keep us updated Phil on your tikka :thumbs:

Yeah, they look nice, really nice ?,and probably are really good. I’d be very very tempted if I was seriously looking for another rimfire at the moment. If it’s a long term investment and what you want, if you can afford it, buy it and make me really envious vm ?

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, villaman said:

I will do when I know what I would like and there lies the problem 

I still have CZ 457 royal in the back of my mind for some reason 

Go for the .22lr rimmy Mitch with subs and HV ammo to see where it fits in with your own demands, then if needed, get the .17hmr 

Phil

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, philpot said:

Go for the .22lr rimmy Mitch with subs and HV ammo to see where it fits in with your own demands, then if needed, get the .17hmr 

Phil

The only thing with .22 Phil . Dorset is very flinty and worried about the rounds bouncing around , or am I wording to much !!