The dam didn't break.

Did the police go into panic mode as usual ?  22 households thought that it was health & safety gone mad. The police have criticized these people for hampering their efforts by using up police resources.  Which are standing around on the ends of streets. Is this a case of the nnny state.  Surely if adults are advised it should be up to them if they get killed because of their actions. Every time I see the police in action they seem to be in Nob  mode and talking stupid. The so called experts called the shots but who is an expert on dam collapses in this country. Yesterday they said that there wou,d be at least two more daysumping to get the water level down but already today the level has been reached.  The blokes doing the job such as the fire brigade and the engineers who get their hands dirty don't seem to get a mention but theres plod claiming how hard they've  worked..... standing around on street corners.  Waste of money. Whats others opinions?

• Like 1

Easy to say in hind sight, in my view better safe than sorry. 

What it does look like though is poor inspections and poor maintenance, there were weeds growing in the joints in some of the coverage. If weeds can grow in-between the concrete slabs then you can get water ingress, which caused this cock up.

The water company just want to take our money. I think I'm right in saying they have not built a new large reservoir since it was privatised, and now looking like they don't maintain the ones they do have.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Meece said:

Did the police go into panic mode as usual ?  22 households thought that it was health & safety gone mad. The police have criticized these people for hampering their efforts by using up police resources.  Which are standing around on the ends of streets. Is this a case of the nnny state.  Surely if adults are advised it should be up to them if they get killed because of their actions. Every time I see the police in action they seem to be in Nob  mode and talking stupid. The so called experts called the shots but who is an expert on dam collapses in this country. Yesterday they said that there wou,d be at least two more daysumping to get the water level down but already today the level has been reached.  The blokes doing the job such as the fire brigade and the engineers who get their hands dirty don't seem to get a mention but theres plod claiming how hard they've  worked..... standing around on street corners.  Waste of money. Whats others opinions?

Maybe your attitude might be different if the damn did blow and all those houses were flooded and a few people died

but hey ho it didn’t 

• Like 3

I work on reservoirs and although I’m not “an expert” I consider myself as having more knowledge than most on the subject.  There are plenty of people in the country with excellent engineering backgrounds into dam failures and the implications of failure should it happen. The authorities are only trying to protect people. If they hadn’t withdrawn families and it went tits up, people would be screaming murder. Most people don’t know or understand the law and how much work goes into making sure the reservoirs and dams are kept in  good, safe condition. They just visit them and assume nothing goes on there. I’ve been doing the job over twenty years and every day is different, you kind of grow a sixth sense for impending trouble and what to spot, so you’re able to raise awareness for engineers to visit the site and assess what you’ve found ??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Arry said:

Easy to say in hind sight, in my view better safe than sorry. 

What it does look like though is poor inspections and poor maintenance, there were weeds growing in the joints in some of the coverage. If weeds can grow in-between the concrete slabs then you can get water ingress, which caused this cock up.

The water company just want to take our money. I think I'm right in saying they have not built a new large reservoir since it was privatised, and now looking like they don't maintain the ones they do have.

Cheers Arry

It doesn’t belong to the local water company, it’s the canal trust ??

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, cragman said:

It doesn’t belong to the local water company, it’s the canal trust ??

I stand corrected mate. Must admit I did presume as it is a reservoir that it was water company. Atb.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

There are reservoirs behind this one in the goyt valley which do belong to the local water company. I think this one is used to send water to the canal and was for bygone industries ?? I’m only a few miles from it so know the area quite well

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, cragman said:

There are reservoirs behind this one in the goyt valley which do belong to the local water company. I think this one is used to send water to the canal and was for bygone industries ?? I’m only a few miles from it so know the area quite well

wouldn't hold breath mate, regards it keeping water levels safe as like now, as we got quite lot of rain coming from now till weekend, so levels  might go very high well by Friday .? nd people might not be aloud back till after .