Foxing caliber

4 hours ago, Deker said:

A .243 isn't many people FIRST choice of a fox calibre, but I have to suggest with the light V-Max they are excellent for long range fox.

Its down to land, circumstances, and need!  I shoot FAR more fox with my collection of rimfires than centrefires, but all my calibres are AOLQ so I take them at will with anything.

300 yards as a long way for most people on fox, but there are those that need to take them a long way (not many), the vast majority of mine are under 100 yards! 

If you have NO desire to ever go for deer, then get a .22-250, but in honesty I'm not a great fan, otherwise .222 or .223, then get a .243 in years to come for deer!

Proper good advice as usuall Deker ?

Well i will pitch in with my "ten penneth" for what it's worth. I tend to stay away from these calibre threads because it is all down to individual choice, where and what you are shooting and nine out of ten asking the questions have already decided what they want and are just looking for confirmation they have chosen wisely.

I have found for foxing with n/v a very fast flat shooting calibre is a distinct advantage.  I regularly have to shoot at extended ranges and not having to worry about drop is a must for me. Unless you know the ground really well judging distance at night is difficult and nigh on impossible with n/v. For these reasons i would only consider using four calibres, 243 using 55/58grn bullets, 220 swift, 22,250 or 204. All of them are laser flat and point and shoot from 50yds to a little over 300yds. 

Obviously 243 is out for you unless you want to get into an argument with your issuing authority. 220 SWIFT is probably to much of a niche calibre for you with few rifles and factory ammo to choose from. 22,250 is more mainstream with good choices of rifles and ammo, i know someone who has burnt his barrel out foxing with this calibre but it took him thirty years to do so. Lastly the 204 my personal favourite. good choice of  rifles and a few makes of ammunition. I reload for myself but five of my mates who have switched to this calibre from their 223s all use hornady factory ammunition to great affect. Whatever you choose they will all do the job, just some do it better than others.?

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, ianm said:

Well i will pitch in with my "ten penneth" for what it's worth. I tend to stay away from these calibre threads because it is all down to individual choice, where and what you are shooting and nine out of ten asking the questions have already decided what they want and are just looking for confirmation they have chosen wisely.

I have found for foxing with n/v a very fast flat shooting calibre is a distinct advantage.  I regularly have to shoot at extended ranges and not having to worry about drop is a must for me. Unless you know the ground really well judging distance at night is difficult and nigh on impossible with n/v. For these reasons i would only consider using four calibres, 243 using 55/58grn bullets, 220 swift, 22,250 or 204. All of them are laser flat and point and shoot from 50yds to a little over 300yds. 

Obviously 243 is out for you unless you want to get into an argument with your issuing authority. 220 SWIFT is probably to much of a niche calibre for you with few rifles and factory ammo to choose from. 22,250 is more mainstream with good choices of rifles and ammo, i know someone who has burnt his barrel out foxing with this calibre but it took him thirty years to do so. Lastly the 204 my personal favourite. good choice of  rifles and a few makes of ammunition. I reload for myself but five of my mates who have switched to this calibre from their 223s all use hornady factory ammunition to great affect. Whatever you choose they will all do the job, just some do it better than others.?

I must have had too many drams, I agree totaly but read it in my head in the voice of Max Headroom ?

Edited by Gav
Drams drams darms an a cuach
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, ianm said:

"Two penneth"! That's an information booklet! ?

Just that....beyond 200yds it's not as simple as " point and shoot". Especially with something twitching about.

I understand what you mean, in the context of being flat but it's still difficult at extreme distance all of the time etc.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gav said:

Sorry my last quote was ment to be a joke, the .300 weathy mag I think is all but obsolete to the .300 win mag, I don't think you'd get a cartridge on your ticket that chucks 200gn projectiles at 3000fps+ for foxes.

I know a fella that used to lamp foxes with a 300RUM. Ticket said AOLQ sooo :laugh:

f**k that.

Hi all just had a call from FAO after talking to one of my land owners he told me that I could have my center fire on an open ticket up to .223,I told him to put 22.250 on my ticket (final decision) so thank you  all for helping me to decide on which caliber to have.

• Like 4