Eventful morning

Had a few days away this week. Moved on further south now but here’s a bit of a do I had.

I wasn’t out too early, about 5:30am and headed straight to my favourite corner of the estate. Before I’ve even parked the truck I’m spying roe! No bucks but it’s encouraging with a couple of days at them.

Anyway, first field and I see foxy mooching along the fresh stubble. I’d sort of preferred to have not seen it but the keeper has birds in next week so couldn’t really ‘unsee’ it. :laugh:

So, ‘bang-pop’, done.... Quite a dark coloured dog fox. The thought crossed my mind that it might have made a nice skin had I not shot it with 85gr BT.

C60B2C03-15EA-4F5A-8BE4-6D8274DC8678.jpeg.b96bd4e62fe8f0a9c60c1108591e161c.jpeg

Crossed my fingers and hoped I’d not scared the deer that I suspected would be around the corner.

The Gods must have smiled, on sneaking around the corner of the wood topped hill in the next field I spied a buck relentlessly chasing a doe with a young spikey fella stood watching. These were like the 6th deer I’d seen at this point, about 30 mins in!

Bit of glassing, bit of creeping through the long grass, bit more glassing and I was happy to get the rifle out. Whipped it out the vorn rucksack, chambered a round and decided I’d shoot prone off the pack rather than the sticks. Dropped him and then watched the doe and the youngster none the wiser. I’d normally let a young fella run and I spent a few minutes pondering... in the end I decided there is a ton of deer about this year and I’ve had a bit of a gentle reminder to get into them so decided the youngster was going too.

Now, at this point I see the doe shoot off.... with another doe! Eh? Even worse, it’s limping. “f**k, I haven’t clipped one hidden in the grass have I?”.

I watched to make sure it was injured and then decided buck doe or otherwise I’ve got to shoot this injured animal. With questions in my mind I jumped up to find everything. :hmm:

Events were not over yet! :laugh:

Before I had got to any of them but right near where the buck should be I see a deer hung up in wire! “Didn’t think any of mine jumped!” :hmm:

F36A78AE-D093-40E3-9370-7E49FFD5451F.jpeg.22293f9ca9f2df494a9459c9e3d94259.jpeg

Poor bugger was still alive, another young buck, cut to the bone and not looking well. I thought about freeing him, even tried, but it wasn’t a good place to assess his health even if I could and he looked f****d so decided best to end things for him. I wasn’t really comfortable shooting it so used another method.

Then I found my two bucks.

FDFB227E-9143-4F58-8DBB-25AC18FCD8FD.jpeg.0397b62788c4116aa152f2359fadcccd.jpeg

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 9

32 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Interesting read ,and  an eventful morning. And “good on ya” for taking the fox .?

I missed one in the exact same place last year while my mates young lad was with me. It didn’t take him long to tell everyone either! :icon_redface:

I told him I got one that morning and that it was definitely the same fox so he can stop reminding me and telling everyone about missing it “it’s dead mate, yep same fox, for sure!”  :whistling: :rolleyes:

• Haha 4
  • 3 weeks later...