2 hours ago, Arry said:

No No mate only when they are landing sprats on the wooden jetty mate, You fish right underneath or just off the end of jetty really close in. 

Crab is the bait for the flounder comp, but been shit for a few years now. Heard the have been trawling them up for crab bait. Also there is loads of Seals getting about them buggers love the Flounders and Salmon.

Cheers Arry

About thirty years ago I was sitting on Paignton harbour wall jigging for small pollack alongside the wall. I noticed an endless shoal of sprats coming in with the tide just off the wall edge. After a while I took off the Toby spoon jigger and put on a bullet weight just above a treble hook. Using that I managed to snag two sprats. I mounted one sprat on the treble, put on one of those old Fishing  Gazette pike floats that you can slide on and secure with a peg set at the same depth the sprats were swimming at.

First cast I thought I'd put too much weight on as the float disappeared on splash down. When I tightened up the pike rod heeled over and the 10lb line snapped. All in all about two seconds of action. I repeated the procedure with the other sprat and instantly lost another float, weight and treble hook.

To this day I have no idea what took those sprats. But it was this time of year so if you are in the area could you have a look around for two vintage Fishing Gazette floats, bullet weights and size 8 trebles? I do miss them. ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a few hours out last night mulleting, managed to get 4 between us. Mine went 3lb 3, one lad had a 1lb 15 and my other mate had a 2lb 15 and a 4lb 2. Cracking fighting fish and all in really good c

I've got two (Mitchell Match reels) and still have my bollox ? The one in the photo was given to me by a friend who had bought it new. I got another off fleabay. Back in 'the day' I had a Mi

Out now actually fm, just had my new pb 3lb 11oz 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

About thirty years ago I was sitting on Paignton harbour wall jigging for small pollack alongside the wall. I noticed an endless shoal of sprats coming in with the tide just off the wall edge. After a while I took off the Toby spoon jigger and put on a bullet weight just above a treble hook. Using that I managed to snag two sprats. I mounted one sprat on the treble, put on one of those old Fishing  Gazette pike floats that you can slide on and secure with a peg set at the same depth the sprats were swimming at.

First cast I thought I'd put too much weight on as the float disappeared on splash down. When I tightened up the pike rod heeled over and the 10lb line snapped. All in all about two seconds of action. I repeated the procedure with the other sprat and instantly lost another float, weight and treble hook.

To this day I have no idea what took those sprats. But it was this time of year so if you are in the area could you have a look around for two vintage Fishing Gazette floats, bullet weights and size 8 trebles? I do miss them. ?

Bass mate, I worked letting out them little self drive boats from Paignton harbour in my younger days bit more than 30 years ago. I used to cream some Bass before starting work and after we finished for the day, would take one of the boats out and troll up and down off the beach. Also the cafe above the work shop used to throw Chicken carcasses out the window, often saw three really big Bass in 18" of water just sort of picking at them. 100% certain Bass.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Arry said:

No No mate only when they are landing sprats on the wooden jetty mate, You fish right underneath or just off the end of jetty really close in. 

Crab is the bait for the flounder comp, but been shit for a few years now. Heard the have been trawling them up for crab bait. Also there is loads of Seals getting about them buggers love the Flounders and Salmon.

Cheers Arry

Yeah mate, was won on rag last year with a not particularly special fish

• Like 1

never caught a mullet  in the uk?tried and tried?watched some local lads who worked in the hotel catching them on bread  in Turkey few yrs ago....I'm going in a few weeks and will be packing a little travel rod and some bits,caught them in Santorini,Greece but that was 14/15 yrs ago.....had some good days on the bass off aberthaw ?

• Like 2

I normally break bread up and let it sit on top of water to get them feeding , then use a white fluffy fly, ... I'm not very good at casting fly rod, so flick it as far as I can then let it drift with the bread, and follow behind...

On 24/07/2019 at 22:48, Daniel cain said:

never caught a mullet  in the uk?tried and tried?watched some local lads who worked in the hotel catching them on bread  in Turkey few yrs ago....I'm going in a few weeks and will be packing a little travel rod and some bits,caught them in Santorini,Greece but that was 14/15 yrs ago.....had some good days on the bass off aberthaw ?

Mullet are easy mate, light rod with the drag set right and some bread. 

Any size to the bass? 

21 minutes ago, Baz2 said:

I normally break bread up and let it sit on top of water to get them feeding , then use a white fluffy fly, ... I'm not very good at casting fly rod, so flick it as far as I can then let it drift with the bread, and follow behind...

Bet they go well on a fly rod ?

2 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Mullet are easy mate, light rod with the drag set right and some bread. 

Any size to the bass? 

biggest I've had was on open and boat 9lb 3ozs on live sand eel just off aberthaw power station few yrs back....think we had 62 between 5 of us but only 19 keepers?

I'm off to ogmore by sea in a bit,gonna take some lures and small spinning set up kill a few hrs while kids roam the rock pools?

35 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Bet they go well on a fly rod ?

Unbelievable, highly recommend  It, I'm lucky enough to have them literally at the end of my street, and there's a fair few about at the minute??

Edited by Baz2
3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

biggest I've had was on open and boat 9lb 3ozs on live sand eel just off aberthaw power station few yrs back....think we had 62 between 5 of us but only 19 keepers?

I'm off to ogmore by sea in a bit,gonna take some lures and small spinning set up kill a few hrs while kids roam the rock pools?

That's what we plan on doing tomorrow. Can't say I've ever had a decent bass, we had a few at first light whilst trying for gilts but nothing above a lb