A rainy night in Yorkshire

I was asked if I would like a walk out tonight at a place not far from my shoot that I’d been once before, even though it looked like rain I thought sod it, it’s better than coronation street, so off I went, been the guest as always I get to shoot first, after waking for a little under a mile we came to a fire break where at the end of the ride was a clear felled section of forestry, looking through the binoculars I could see a fox working it’s way along the back of the clearing, we headed a little closer but with the wind in the wrong direction my mate said to me we wouldn’t get any closer as once we got to the end of the trees it would wind us, so I said I’d have a go from where we were, at a little under 290 yards I mounted the rifle and squeezed the trigger, a clean miss but not so much of a miss that it didn’t run off faster than the bullet, my mates turn next and I think he’d saved this one for himself, heading back towards the farm we came across what I would call a valley but he referred to it as a gutter, on the other side was a clear fox earth, we walked another 60 yards up and there was a ginger sat on the edge of the gutter, the other side from us, so up he went with the rifle and down the fox went, now I ask him if he knew that would be there and he told me he had an idea, so I then said are we going to get it, he said to me it’s a 20 minute walk to get to it and would tell the keeper where it was, so he rang him, his reply was you shot the fu*king thing so you go and get it, at the end of the call the keeper is going to send his lad over in the morning, so a nice couple of hours out and I’m glad I educated a fox on someone else’s ground 

C0B691FA-599F-43CC-93CC-33F7D9A4ECE1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, David.evans said:

You lazy git stav , lol 

nice write up mate see you've got the caller out what were you using on it 

atb 

I would of walked around for it mate, I always like one for the album, I think his little legs were getting tired 

had the caller on pheasant distress, no real interest in it, he did manage to make the one he shot turn it’s head with a cub call but that might of just been because it was a noise on a quiet evening ether that or it got a whiff of his old spice

• Haha 1