Jump to content

Recommended Posts


That’s a proper set up👍👍👍 we buy ours in on our shoot, straight into the pens but we have a young lad on the shoot that hatches a few wildies in his garden, last year he managed about 50ish so we banded them and if you shot one you had to give him 5 quid, he was the richest man on the shoot on a couple of occasions, I’m going to show him this and tell him to ask his dad to sort him some space in one of the poultry sheds, he’ll torture the poor old fella 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Cracking looking set up that. What's your mortality rate like from day old to release pen? 

I've managed to get onto a very small DIY syndicate. I'm green as but (annoyingly!) keen, so I'll be a regular onto this side of forum. Cheers. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Stavross said:

That’s a proper set up👍👍👍 we buy ours in on our shoot, straight into the pens but we have a young lad on the shoot that hatches a few wildies in his garden, last year he managed about 50ish so we banded them and if you shot one you had to give him 5 quid, he was the richest man on the shoot on a couple of occasions, I’m going to show him this and tell him to ask his dad to sort him some space in one of the poultry sheds, he’ll torture the poor old fella 😂

that's the sort of youngster you want on a shoot , i once hatched some in a old wardrobe in the cellar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Cracking looking set up that. What's your mortality rate like from day old to release pen? 

I've managed to get onto a very small DIY syndicate. I'm green as but (annoyingly!) keen, so I'll be a regular onto this side of forum. Cheers. 

round about 1to 2%, think you get 2% of the hatchery for losses

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

There has been some serious investment in that set up . Have you guys signed up to the BGA ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

There has been some serious investment in that set up . Have you guys signed up to the BGA ?

 

no, the boss has more money than you can shake a stick at

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, CHEVINFOX said:

no, the boss has more money than you can shake a stick at

I thought it was something like that . It would take years to make a set up like that viable for 12.5 thousand birds . Bosses like that are out there . It’s a good way for some bosses to lose money instead of giving it to  HMRC .😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We had the first birds arrive on Tuesday, I didn’t take any photos or do a write up . But I took some today . The birds I got today are 6 weeks old they are common ring necks from overwintered hens . They all look good so far and well feathered . It’s been quiet around the first pen so far , but I don’t like to speak too soon . I’m on watch tonight as I’m sure there is a fox about  , by this pen . The first birds I put to wood have settled in well and they have spread out well with no bunching up on the wire and a lot are getting up to roost on low branches. I get my birds clipped, I think it helps . Anyway, all looks good so far , I will keep you all posted on their progress. 

E4264E25-C23B-42A9-A0C7-449CE925F382.jpeg

83C2B2D6-67F3-4944-9F80-51107AD5C3B8.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I love it when the birds go in, now the hard work begins, fingers crossed for some good weather so they settle in well 👍

Share this post


Link to post

Got a few fine days forecast , rain coming Wednesday/Thursday maybe. The cover crops could do with a soaking , they are looking dry now . I always find it a bit nerve wracking putting the birds to wood , is there something nasty in the pen we missed when we ran the mutts through ? Am I going to have cubs spooking them over the fence and nabbing them ? Are Buzzards going to play havoc with them ? Is the weather going to change for the worse ? You name it , I worry about it ! 😂 But I wouldn’t want to do anything else , I must be mad !🤪

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

You can only do your best but when it comes down to it some luck is always needed, I’ve sat out 3 nights in a row in the past on fox patrol, never seeing one and then when I’ve been feeding up one has ran along the pen fence, hopefully when ours go in in about 4 weeks it will run as smoothly as last season 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×