.22lr ammo testing

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found myself with an afternoon free, so, decided that I needed to get some rounds though my cz .22lr at 50yards, take my time to go back over brands I’d pied off. This will be photo heavy, so apologis

I actually rate the Magtech HP subs, but not easy to find these days and not cheap anymore either.  Accurate and big HP which expands well. Not used the heavier Winchesters but the old ones had a

Your comment seems to have taken on a life of its own.   As I suggested earlier you are taking the piss, either that or pig ignorant, SOLID AMMO IS ALLOWED FOR PEST CONTROL. As far as I recall th

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Gav said:

Those spatter targets are great huh

11 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

Love them, good value as well. Using the stickers I put about 50+ rounds through the fist target. 

So what's wrong with a cardboard box and a felt tip ?

17 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

And me, I remember when ammo was about £2.50/50, and shot shells.

Russian 22 ammo was £1.25 when I was a lad ?

ahh, the veritable Baikals. The (black)  ones I bought were loaded with anti tank shell powder and the waddling was made from chopped up coppies of prabda newspapers. If there was a pigeon cruising at 40 thousand feet on oxygen the Baikal would have brought the blighter down. There was a muzzle flash about six foot long and a report like a sonic boom. After your eyes recovered from the flash and bang you might be lucky to see the bird coming down from high altitude

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Meece said:

So what's wrong with a cardboard box and a felt tip ?

ahh, the veritable Baikals. The (black)  ones I bought were loaded with anti tank shell powder and the waddling was made from chopped up coppies of prabda newspapers. If there was a pigeon cruising at 40 thousand feet on oxygen the Baikal would have brought the blighter down. There was a muzzle flash about six foot long and a report like a sonic boom. After your eyes recovered from the flash and bang you might be lucky to see the bird coming down from high altitude

Baikal record they were.

The 22 ammo had no name. The lube was animal fat and oxidised. Shot ok.

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’d didn’t know that lapua made .22 subs and at that price I wouldn’t want to know, I’d definitely give the Norma a go ?

I miss read you initially post as, it was over priced, rather than, why are lapua even bothering ?

13 minutes ago, Meece said:

Were they loaded with anti tank shell powder like the Black Baikals.

No better, intercontinental ballistic rocket fuel! Good job it was only a couple of grains!

They were a little bit smoky and inhaling the smoke could give you a respitary disease!

17 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

And me, I remember when ammo was about £2.50/50, and shot shells.

Russian 22 ammo was £1.25 when I was a lad ?

Federal classic hp still only three quid a box at livens. I’ve found them to be accurate ?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

Put 50 rounds of the eley 38g through this afternoon, a mixed bag of groups all at 50 yards. 

33874613088_a41b7dff73_b.jpg

46835073325_6400d4e7f4_b.jpg

46835088085_6ff4e6dc5f_b.jpg

46835088075_b56e900918_b.jpg

And 5 at 100 yards

46962398304_3805ba56ea_b.jpg

46962398284_ac2c95ae10_b.jpg

I also did this for @Meece

46835118965_82c4d36c76_b.jpg

From this experiment we find that It appears that you are a shit shot.  Bloody hell man your miles away from the felt tip target.  An elephant would be safe with a group like that ????. And I hope that you did your green duty and recycled that box ? ?

Only jokiñg. 

Ps. Are you shooting Free hand, or off a  bipod or other rest such as vehicle?

Edited by Meece
  • Haha 1

@meece ?? I am quite poor, but very stubborn so hopefully those groups will tighten up ?? 

The box is still going! Just sick another target on top ? I doubt there’ll be much box left at the end! 

I’m shooting prone off of a bipod and sand bag. 

When I'm zeroing my 223 at about 100 paces I lay on the ground prone using a Harris bipod. One hand is on the stock neck and the other is crossed over on the underside heel of the stock. Considering how rigid and solid this position is, the sheer blood pulse in my body causes the cross hairs on the Leupold scope to move from one side to the other of the target dot which is about 2cm diameter. Although there is this natural movement  the bullets form a tight group about the size of the dot. I'm  accurate enough to be confident to take a 300 pace shot.  Should it be necessary to take a shot at this distance but generally I use fieldcraft to get target distance down to about eighty paces or less. I am a reasonably good shot and again feel confident to take a rabbit head shot with my 22lr at seventy to eighty paces Free hand.

• Like 1