Advice pup rejection

Hi, bitch has just had to have three massive pups cut out. She has loads of milk on her but She will not allow them to feed unless I physically put them on her and stay with her for the duration. Being doing this every three hour but getting no bonding from her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm depending on this as it's the last of my lines and the bitch in nine years old. Thanks

I had exactly the same a few years back, my bitch killed 4 pups in seconds after we put her with her pups......on the advice of the vet !

I got her muzzled and fed the pups by putting them with her while she was muzzled. I cleaned them and made them piss and shit for three days, she soon came around to them. You'll see when she starts to take an interest in them, just have a bit of patience. 

• Like 6

As said she is snapping because she is sore .Self preservation overrides maternal instinct but she will or should come round to it .Naturally pups would have died and likely her too .If she really is having none of it and you need to bottle feed then express as much milk from her as you can by hand (incoming lol)or she will dry up within a week and never feed them .Will be time consuming but you have to weigh that up against what you will achieve .

Good luck mate 

• Like 1

If they were C section then as daft as it sounds the bitch won't recognise them as her own. Put a muzzle on her, let the pups feed while you hold the bitch steady  and she'll take to them within a few days.  I just lay my bitch down, put my hand on her head to keep her down and steady and let the pups help themselves 

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 9
24 minutes ago, dillydog said:

If they were C section then as daft as it sounds the bitch won't recognise them as her own. Put a muzzle on her, let the pups fees while you hold the bitch steady  and she'll take to them within a few days.  I just lay my bitch down, put my hand on her head to keep her down and steady and let the pups help themselves 

Out of likes but good advice 

Firstly I'd like to thank all you lads for the advice and really appreciate the help. I was  at dispare this morning after doing shifts every two hour to keep the pups alive through the day and night. When the pups came back from vets they were stone cold and not feeding with the bitch ready to take the heads off not letting them near her. I stuck with holding one at a time on the tit to feed gradually getting her used to them. I'm at the stage now where I've managed to get her licking them after taking the advice of smearing pup shit on her noes. What an invaluable tip !  Fingers crossed still working on getting her to go into there box on her own accord. All the advice given was spot on an accurate Including giving the pups arse a rub to get them to shit and piss. What I've learnt from this experience is not to give up and give your dogs every chance they deserve even at five in the morning after a 24hours of  dispare . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, offshoreallways said:

Firstly I'd like to thank all you lads for the advice and really appreciate the help. I was  at dispare this morning after doing shifts every two hour to keep the pups alive through the day and night. When the pups came back from vets they were stone cold and not feeding with the bitch ready to take the heads off not letting them near her. I stuck with holding one at a time on the tit to feed gradually getting her used to them. I'm at the stage now where I've managed to get her licking them after taking the advice of smearing pup shit on her noes. What an invaluable tip !  Fingers crossed still working on getting her to go into there box on her own accord. All the advice given was spot on an accurate Including giving the pups arse a rub to get them to shit and piss. What I've learnt from this experience is not to give up and give your dogs every chance they deserve even at five in the morning after a 24hours of  dispare . 

there's some seriously knowledgeable lads on this forum mate.sound's like you have put the excellent advice you have been given to good use.

good luck over the next few day's...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1