Mole season over

I've only ever had three dogs from being pups. All the rest have been re-homes in one form or another. The last dog was a total basket case physically and emotionally when we took her on at 18 months old and it took more than two years to straighten her out. But she made a lovely dog and had a very happy life including being a great beating and shooting dog, something nobody would have believed if they saw here when she first came to us. She was also useful for indicating caught moles and finding traps that foxes or badgers had carried off and abandoned. I hope Lily can learn to do the same.

• Like 2

Moles are coming out of my ears at the moment. Virtually all my contract customers have had moles trapped or new activity to be dealt with. Even had 3 moles in 24 hours in the same trap in my garden! You'd think they'd know better ?

Little Lily indicated another trapped mole in the same trap as before. She run on ahead and checked under the trap cover. Trouble is, it seems to be a fluke as she has not shown any interest in other traps with moles in them. The ones she has indicated have been in one trap in a garden I've been clearing for about two months so I reckon she's working on memory, not instinct. Every visit there is a bloody mole in the same trap so I can't finish the job. We are up to 21 from that garden since the beginning of March ?  I've got another one that I started at the same time with a tally of over 30, and 2 more in the traps today!  I ran out of traps yesterday and had to nick some Putanges from one garden to be able to have spare in case I needed them later in the day.

I've done now until Monday, but with heavy rain forecast over the next 48 hours it will be a busy week again next week.

• 3 months later...

The season is finally winding down - thank goodness. Hopefully it will be quiet now until the end of October when the rains and the fourth broods of moles arrive then the season proper usually kicks off end of January to mid-February with the arrival of the first broods of the year . I still have a few ongoing issues with a few locations where the moles have migrated to areas where there is moisture in the soil, or where they are crossing customer's gardens heading for these oasis.  It ain't half hot wandering about in shorts and sandals in 38C temperatures, and 200 miles of driving in an old Blingo with no air-con but at least I can get away with two and a half days per fortnight until it all kicks off again.

• Haha 1

Well, I was "Living the life" until just after 9pm last Wednesday when I felt severe pain in my lower stomach and back. When I say pain I mean pain like nothing I've ever experienced in my life. My stomach started to distend to the point that I had to unfasten my shorts and I began to pour with sweat.  I asked my wife to get me to the local A&E hospital PDQ which she did; Bless her. They filled me with morphine and rigged up an oxygen line. I was concious all night and remember one of the paramedics clicking the thermometer in my ear  three times, then trying the other ear and repeating attempts with two  more thermometers before saying: "This is not possible!" I later found out that the reading was in the 40's celcius ?

Next morning a fast ambulance transferred me to the large departmental hospital, for MRI, more morphine ? and a hurried theatre trip, and I don't mean 'Les Misrables' although that's how I felt. 6 nights in hospital attached to 3 drips, a stomach drain through my nostril, oxygen and I discovered after asking for a urine jug to save my carting all those drips to the toilet and back, a catheter ? They had slipped that in while I was under the aesthetic.

I got home a few hours ago after having a metre of blocked intestine removed (those of you who think I am full of sh1t might have been onto something) ?

So, it's now a month off work, wearing wrinkly surgical stockings day and night for a fortnight and baby food for me.

Living the dream I am ?

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie :thumbs:

I know that you have had your problems too so I hope that you are now fit and well.

I'm OK now. There were some concerned faces at the A&E and in the operating theatre, but every day I get stronger. It is going to be a long, dull month though until I get the all clear to lift, bend and carry. I've just got a fishing boat and was looking forward to getting amongst the catfish before they retire for the winter, but it looks like 'The Hippo' will be in dry dock until at least the middle of next month.

It's Little Wife who I feel most sorry for. She's doing the lot; dog walking, shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. while I'm sat on my arris tweaking my Fantasy Football team ?

• Like 1

Mel always cops the rough end here too when I have my blips. But they are resilient creatures and seem to take it in their stride.

I'm surprised it's only a month you've been layed off for. 

When my gut exploded years ago I only lost a couple of inches of intestine and it was six weeks ? you northern chaps are made of sterner stuff ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 04/09/2019 at 16:16, Nicepix said:

Well, I was "Living the life" until just after 9pm last Wednesday when I felt severe pain in my lower stomach and back. When I say pain I mean pain like nothing I've ever experienced in my life. My stomach started to distend to the point that I had to unfasten my shorts and I began to pour with sweat.  I asked my wife to get me to the local A&E hospital PDQ which she did; Bless her. They filled me with morphine and rigged up an oxygen line. I was concious all night and remember one of the paramedics clicking the thermometer in my ear  three times, then trying the other ear and repeating attempts with two  more thermometers before saying: "This is not possible!" I later found out that the reading was in the 40's celcius ?

Next morning a fast ambulance transferred me to the large departmental hospital, for MRI, more morphine ? and a hurried theatre trip, and I don't mean 'Les Misrables' although that's how I felt. 6 nights in hospital attached to 3 drips, a stomach drain through my nostril, oxygen and I discovered after asking for a urine jug to save my carting all those drips to the toilet and back, a catheter ? They had slipped that in while I was under the aesthetic.

I got home a few hours ago after having a metre of blocked intestine removed (those of you who think I am full of sh1t might have been onto something) ?

So, it's now a month off work, wearing wrinkly surgical stockings day and night for a fortnight and baby food for me.

Living the dream I am ?

f***ing sounds like you was very lucky there pal?time to kick back and recover....them fish ain't going no where??

• Like 1

I personally don't know as this is the first time I've been in a hospital as a patient.

I can't complain about the care though. I was in a double room. I could have had a single on my health insurance, but I didn't bother to ask as the other guy in the room was really nice. Then he left and a right rissole came in for three nights, then I was on my own for the last two nights. I was well looked after. They kept asking if I had any pain and offered pain relief if I had. The food was crap, but given my condition, it still is and I've been home a week ?

I was just glad to wake up in the recovery room. Anything else is a bonus  :thumbs:

Yesterday and again today the French district nurse came and took some of the metal clamps out. By, she's a big girl. Just like Arkwright's Nurse Gladys-Emmanuel. She says that she'll be back on Saturday to finish me off!!! ? 

• Haha 2