pup not taking to diet

Thanks Gilbey. In that case (fingers crossed) I may have cracked it. I may try him on some dog grade chicken wings (with feathers still on etc) from the pet shop just to see.

When my old lurcher was just a pup she would sometimes pass whole chicken wing bones too! :icon_eek:

I dunno what other more experienced folks opinion on chicken is but I'm not a big fan. Read a bit about the nutrient content of intensively farmed chickens and also it's general consistency and I now opt for either duck or beef with 50% tripe as a general base. I'm a big fan of tripe!

I buy direct from Bulmers. 30lb of 50/50 minced duck (25% bone) & tripe is something like £15.

Meaty bones are great for reasons beyond just nutrient content but I find them a pain in the arse so fed minimally.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Neal said:

Thanks Gilbey. In that case (fingers crossed) I may have cracked it. I may try him on some dog grade chicken wings (with feathers still on etc) from the pet shop just to see.

its not just chicken with my oldie its a few things that are to rich and he's different to yours. Did think it could be from taking him to doggy places because he's a clump sniffer, but not sure? Can go weeks and all of a sudden unload on a walk or come over with the "come and open this f***ing door" look

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the thing I've found so odd; I've never had any digestion problems with previous dogs (the opposite if anything!) and, as you say, the inconsistency. He'll be fine for several days or weeks and then suddenly I come downstairs in the morning to a Shakatak (as we used to call it when we were little). However, because I'd not previously factored the rawhide chews into the equation,  as I wasn't thinking of it as part of his diet, I'm hoping that could be it. I did suggest trying chicken again to my lovely lady wife but she wisely advised me to stick with what he's on now. Thanks again everybody, I'll update again in a few weeks one way or the other.

Only just seen this thread , when I had dogs I experienced similar problems with rawhide chews and pigs ears I stopped feeding them , they had bones from butcher (I know your not near a butcher?

other thing is supermarket meat is full of chemicals for shelf life could be something to consider though I fed my doodle and her chihuahuas on Iceland’s chicken drumsticks no issues. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Neal said:

Yeah, that's the thing I've found so odd; I've never had any digestion problems with previous dogs (the opposite if anything!) and, as you say, the inconsistency. He'll be fine for several days or weeks and then suddenly I come downstairs in the morning to a Shakatak (as we used to call it when we were little). However, because I'd not previously factored the rawhide chews into the equation,  as I wasn't thinking of it as part of his diet, I'm hoping that could be it. I did suggest trying chicken again to my lovely lady wife but she wisely advised me to stick with what he's on now. Thanks again everybody, I'll update again in a few weeks one way or the other.

yeah same here never had any problems with the others, one in particular must of had cast iron guts, so its easy to give him something without thinking. You wouldn't expect it with a dog like a kelpie or a crossbred

• Thanks 1

I may be way off here but a lot of Chicken has water add to it, some where near 20% I think. Now I may also be wrong but they use a chemical injected first which helps the  chicken retain the water. Maybe just maybe the dog is reacting to the chemical rather than the Chicken. Just a thought.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Neal said:

Thanks Arry!

Still fine since keeping off the rawhide chews but I've decided to not even try the chicken just in case. Touch wood.

Just as well stick to what the pup likes and what suits it.

Cheers Arry

• Thanks 1