Advice on a shot gun

I think that is the first one i have seen.

double trigger and I suspect a non ejector and really not well suited to clay shooting. I had a thought, two in fact, good honest guns, a Lanber or Lincoln, neither of which are in the same league as the three I mentioned earlier but will be better than your Savage.

there is another possibility, two makes that offer value for money and again not in the same league as Beretta, Browning and Miroku BUT you could afford one. The guns in question are ATA and Kof and from what I have seen of the ATA is a copy of a Beretta and do feel quite nice. 

The one thing I have found on some of these cheaper guns is the gun fit can vary a lot so it is really important to ensure they fit you. The other aspect is recoil, it is not uncommon to find higher recoil on some of these guns so be prepared to use lighter cartridges which can be very very good indeed. I use 24gr cartridges for my Olympic Trap shooting and please believe me modern 24gr and 21gr cartridges are superb.

Hope that helps a little

Phil

14 hours ago, Meece said:

There you go. It won't be out of proof if its only  fourty years old unless its a complete rust box.  

Proof is the product of the number of shots fired rather than pure age, as I'm sure you know, it's the friction of the shot that wear the barrel out not rust. The wear is potentially accelerated by the use of harder shot eg steel and heavy use.

A gun that has seen heavy usage as a clay shooting weapon will go out of proof much quicker than a field gun used on weekly pheasant shoots due to the tens of thousands of more cartridges it will have seen over it's lifespan compared to a field gun. That doesn't mean either is in or out of proof, just that a heavily used gun is more likely to be out of proof. Old guns aren't necessarily out of proof either. However, the older the gun, the potentially more shots it's seen and therefore the greater the need to check it's in proof, especially if it's age is in the several decade range. If his guns been checked, then his gun is fine.

However, don't make the assumption that just because a gun isn't rusty, it's in proof.

A 10 year old clay gun in perfect appearance for it's age could be out of proof but a 60 year old field gun with surface rust, still in proof. It's all a product of wear and age is only an indicator of a need to check. Assumption on safety is the mother of all f*ckups. He's entirely done the right thing by having it checked.

The Hatsan semi auto has plenty of critics BUT both my pal and myself had two each for pigeon shooting, all four were second hand and during the two years we used them, they were faultless although I know there are guys on here that will say there are crap. Our guns weren't our main guns nor would I want them as main guns but everyone to there own.

the main reason for selling them on was the major pain going round finding the ejected cases all over the crop we were shooting over and trust me the cases will travel quite some distance.

one other thing to check on, make sure the clay shoot you are going to attend, actually allows the use of semi auto guns as some don't and even if they do NEVER LOAD MORE THAN TWO CARTRIDGES IN THE GUN. I have been clay shooting this morning and noted that someone took three shots at a clay, it was reported.......

Phil

On 05/11/2018 at 16:16, Alsone said:

Have you checked it for proof or has the gunsmith you bought it from? It's probably OK, especially if it's only had light usage, but don't overlook the dangers of an old gun that maybe out of proof.

Proof aside, an extension may solve your issues. Best to get some good advice on gunfit, then buy an extension that matches.

14 hours ago, Alsone said:

Proof is the product of the number of shots fired rather than pure age, as I'm sure you know, it's the friction of the shot that wear the barrel out not rust. The wear is potentially accelerated by the use of harder shot eg steel and heavy use.

A gun that has seen heavy usage as a clay shooting weapon will go out of proof much quicker than a field gun used on weekly pheasant shoots due to the tens of thousands of more cartridges it will have seen over it's lifespan compared to a field gun. That doesn't mean either is in or out of proof, just that a heavily used gun is more likely to be out of proof. Old guns aren't necessarily out of proof either. However, the older the gun, the potentially more shots it's seen and therefore the greater the need to check it's in proof, especially if it's age is in the several decade range. If his guns been checked, then his gun is fine.

However, don't make the assumption that just because a gun isn't rusty, it's in proof.

A 10 year old clay gun in perfect appearance for it's age could be out of proof but a 60 year old field gun with surface rust, still in proof. It's all a product of wear and age is only an indicator of a need to check. Assumption on safety is the mother of all f*ckups. He's entirely done the right thing by having it checked.

The bores don't wear out or burn out unless they have been abused and been left wet and have corroded. Barrels  can stand up to hundreds of thousands of rounds. Bad maintenance might see a barrel pitted, or abuse might see it bent or bulged, or even burst, but with reasonable care there's no reason to expect you'll ever need to replace barrels on a modern shotgun.  this is a gun that won't  have been used by George Digweed or similar  other top clay shot that  may shoot tens of thousands of cartridges a year. There are reports of Beretta 686s that have been used as club guns that have had over a million cartridges shot through them and the only things that have been replaced are the springs and pivot pins. Unless you plug the barrel and blow it up, it will last your lifetime and two more and still be in proof. Still all of this is a diversion to the original post