Advice on a shot gun

Hi all had my gun licence a few years now on getting it I got my self a cheap gun from the local shop for £100 just for some rough shooting round the farm and a few clays but on going to the clays the woman told me the gun was to short for me (im 6,3 )that's why I'm missing a few as I cant hold it right as when using other people guns before I got my own I wasn't a bad shot at all but just can't seem to get on with this one so packed it away and hardly use it witch is a shame as I enjoy bolting rabbits to the gun ect so I was just wondering what's a sensible gun up to 400-£500 

17 minutes ago, Underdog said:

If the stock is to short mate but you think you can shoot it reasonably well how about a slip on stock extension.

Usually plenty on eBay.

U.

Theirs nothing wrong with the gun it's self ok it's about 40 or so years old but it shoots ok and fine for what I need it for just dosnt fit me will try a exstention and see how I go may be a easy cheap solution 

Got a couple of brand names that are nice to use but my go to that has the best fit is my 230 quid Hatsan semi.It sits right and fits right and no it,s never let me down .

They are a marmite gun but i love mine as it works well.Clean the gas ports and spring slide tube and all,s well and carry a spare "o" ring seal <£2 for piece of mind> 

If you find the stock extension works keep what you got unless you get shinyitiss then YOU must buy more shotguns as its the law :laugh:

5 hours ago, the lamping ferreter said:

Theirs nothing wrong with the gun it's self ok it's about 40 or so years old but it shoots ok and fine for what I need it for just dosnt fit me will try a exstention and see how I go may be a easy cheap solution 

Have you checked it for proof or has the gunsmith you bought it from? It's probably OK, especially if it's only had light usage, but don't overlook the dangers of an old gun that maybe out of proof.

Proof aside, an extension may solve your issues. Best to get some good advice on gunfit, then buy an extension that matches.

14 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Have you checked it for proof or has the gunsmith you bought it from? It's probably OK, especially if it's only had light usage, but don't overlook the dangers of an old gun that maybe out of proof.

Proof aside, an extension may solve your issues. Best to get some good advice on gunfit, then buy an extension that matches.

Yes came from a propper gun shop and was all checked and deemed safe and I have just ordered this from Amazon £9.99 So worth a try for a small amount of money 

Screenshot_20181105-162845_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181105-162854_Samsung Internet.jpg

There you go. It won't be out of proof if its only  fourty years old unless its a complete rust box.  If you go onto YouTube and watch clips by Chris Baths and Gill Ash they will show you how it should look down the rib. There are lots of clips available.  Gill ash is a bit of an oddball but he sure knows what he is talking about. The only thing about those extenders is that one of the son in laws left one on a Beretta stock and the stock changed colour to black under the rubber sleeve. Just because your gun ain't a Purdy it doesn't matter if you can shoot with it. If you need a bit more length you can pack the extender out with cardboard or ply.

Edited by Meece

The above stock extension is not great for two reasons. Firstly the rubber will stick like helll go your clothes so gun mounting is an issue. Secondly, it is a fixed length so no easy way to test various lengths.

I have just bought a Beartooth stock extension kit to carry out tests on my wife's gun before any stock work is done but to be honest she is so pleased that she is wanting to leave it as is.

you can get them on ebay and these will slide without catching on your clothes.  There is a black one on ebay now for £21 item number  232440995289 but you can get one in brown if you have a good look.

Let's just talk about the gun you have, what make and model is it and what length are the barrels. At 6' 3"  you could easily handle a gun with 30" barrels of even 32" barrels. Which help with a steady swing and great pointability , a big advantage of you intend getting into clay shooting.

Regarding budget, spend as much as you can simply because the budget you have in mind will not get you get much. Above your budget perhaps BUT if you look in some gun dealers to see how close you can get to one of the big three makes. Beretta, Browning or Miroku. These three have a great reputation, have been used to win thousands of chamlionships, will always sell in the s/h market and finally will outlast you.......

Phil