Went to the perm for a couple of hours, got there it just started to rain lightly and also some smoke from a fire the owner has had, well the rangefinder doesn't like either the rain or the smoke as everything was 12yds away, so I'm going home gutted.. Anyone else had this problem with their rangefinder (nitesite) or any other rf? ? 

I never shoot in rain Phill so I have no idea if the rangefinder works or not. I did go for quite some time night shooting without a rangefinder and got it wrong a few times but got away with it more often than not because the .25 fac shoots very flat.

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

I never shoot in rain Phill so I have no idea if the rangefinder works or not. I did go for quite some time night shooting without a rangefinder and got it wrong a few times but got away with it more often than not because the .25 fac shoots very flat.

Phil

I took one shot at a guessed distance and missed to I thought sod it...and FAC is a long way off if ever.... 

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:15, Phill-W68 said:

I took one shot at a guessed distance and missed to I thought sod it...and FAC is a long way off if ever.... 

Are you talking 12ft lb?     Each to their own but I don't use a rangefinder and don't have an issue.

I use everything from 12ft lb to .308 so distances vary a lot.   Its experience and practice, and night estimating is another challenge altogether, but it seems to work for me!    If I can see the target I can shoot it, mist/fog is my real concern as it really screws up sight lines and can even have an effect on bullet path!

I do my best to stay out of ran/snow/fog etc, but not because the rangefinder struggles!

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

As an addition to dekers point, I have never used a range finder but found myself in a similarish position last few times I got out shooting. I found my estimate of range at night was shocking, so bad I was shooting short of everything i add at as I found it hard to judge the distance in the dark. What I chose to do was visit in daylight and pace out some landmarks. I knew roughly where I'd be shooting from which directions so I paced out landmarks that would be visible even at night and threw NV. A gap I. The hedge row... Fence posts along one side of the field... A weird shaped tree... At the time I even paced some tractor tyre imprints that ran through the field. Went back that night and everything was WAYYY easier. I had all the numbers in my head so I knew what would be safe and clean and what was out of range. I shoot sub 12 too and this helped a lot. Also gave me a better understanding of the land so if I was out of range I knew where was best to take the shot from and the route to it etc. I mean... I guess the other option is a tape measure but they might not sit still while you measure them out... ?

Some of my best bags whee in the rain i was surprised but it doesn't seem to put the rabbits off more so if its raining after a dry spell , but once your committed to going to a permission and it starts raining once your nearly there what can you do 

• Like 1