First trip with photon rt

Well decided to go up to the perm last night to try the photon rt our using the onboard IR, to be ho est I didn't know what to expect with all posotive/negative reviews on it, and I'm quite impressed I hooke up the nitesite rangefinder to it for obvious reasons, now I had it fixed to my R10se 25cal sub 12, zeroed at 20yds that same day so it was case of trying the photon out for visibility and such like with the chance of maybe a close range deaf/dumb rabbit ☺, that deaf/dumb rabbit didnt appear, but I was able to get  In as close as 30yds but didn't take the shots as only had the one sightmarkand with the loopy 25cal trajectory didn't want to wound, so did some scanning trying out different reticles and colours, and the furthest rabbit I ranged was 104yds that I could  see pretty clear, really easy to operate In the dark, only thing is it seems battery thirsty, maybe an external ir would help with that but I dont really need it not on the perm I have as the fours fields are very hilly, so I can't really scan more than 150-175 yards at a time, so I think maybe get a couple more battery holders, then batteries are at the ready to swap over rather than fumbling in the dark swapping flat for fresh batteries or maybe the pulsar dnv battery units... But all In all a happy chappy in my eyes..... 

Oh and since last night, I've put the photon onto the hw100 177 now so those 30yds + are easy reachable now... Can't wait for my next trip out..... ? 

• Like 6

Poundland Phil 5 pack Alkaline batterys ,last a good 4 hours ,if not on all the time .Decent range increase = external I/R ive got a nm800 on board but T20/38 will do fine and you,l see hell of a difference in picture quality .The more i/r the clearer picture atb and good hunting

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Poundland Phil 5 pack Alkaline batterys ,last a good 4 hours ,if not on all the time .Decent range increase = external I/R ive got a nm800 on board but T20/38 will do fine and you,l see hell of a difference in picture quality .The more i/r the clearer picture atb and good hunting

Worth a try cheers, I have got the optic-fire xc50 with both 850ir pill and 940ir pill, just didnt really want to add an Xtra ir to it, as already have rangefinder fitted...thankyou for the advice pal... ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bigmac 97kt said:

I find the t20 ir is an over kill for sub 12 rifles

its good for scanning the fields mind

but thats it

the ir on the photon is spot on i find

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Hopefully I'm out tonight so I,ll have 8 rechargeables at the ready so should give me 4-5 hours of use, I,ll take the optic-fire xc50 for curiosity sake and see if picture quality differs that much, but I think it,ll be just more batteries if needed... 

11 hours ago, Phill-W68 said:

Hopefully I'm out tonight so I,ll have 8 rechargeables at the ready so should give me 4-5 hours of use, I,ll take the optic-fire xc50 for curiosity sake and see if picture quality differs that much, but I think it,ll be just more batteries if needed... 

if your happy with it Phil get the battery pack, ive got it and get about 4 hours out of one battery with I/r set at 3, I bump it up to ten in the big fields for scanning then knock

it back down to 3!

stuck it on my 100 the other night but its no light weight with a rangefinder strapped to it.. been having a holding zero prob with it so I sent it back to Scott country yesterday and there gonna sort it out..witch I wasn't expecting cos its over a year old!:thumbs:

66yrd off a fence post

fullsizeoutput_3e6.jpeg.c67f56a287d30f8cfe2030cba04712fa.jpegEA40B8B6-C70E-467E-BD80-2CE787AEA25D.jpg.60a32592d97a63d1d7dd707e1d238327.jpg

if you like them and can use them there a good bit of kit. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, si brown said:

if your happy with it Phil get the battery pack, ive got it and get about 4 hours out of one battery with I/r set at 3, I bump it up to ten in the big fields for scanning then knock

it back down to 3!

stuck it on my 100 the other night but its no light weight with a rangefinder strapped to it.. been having a holding zero prob with it so I sent it back to Scott country yesterday and there gonna sort it out..witch I wasn't expecting cos its over a year old!:thumbs:

66yrd off a fence post

fullsizeoutput_3e6.jpeg.c67f56a287d30f8cfe2030cba04712fa.jpegEA40B8B6-C70E-467E-BD80-2CE787AEA25D.jpg.60a32592d97a63d1d7dd707e1d238327.jpg

if you like them and can use them there a good bit of kit. 

Hi.... I've only used it once so far and I was happy with it, so the more I use it the more. I,ll get to know how to get the best from it, should of been out tonight but didn't come off so hopefully tomorrow night, and your right, on top of the hw100 with the added rf, it's a heavy load to drag around,i guess you mean the pulsar dnv pack? Oh and nice shooting by the way  ? 

Edited by Phill-W68
  • Like 1

yeah the dnv pack... it shows its at like half power after 5 mins of use then just lasts for ages:thumbs:

there not the best scopes out there but for the money and taking out rabbits and rats its more than capable... just get use to focusing it and set the brightness right and 

you can use it for hours on end!

if the rubber end gets on your tits take it off.. I only use it if the rabbits are skittish 

• Like 1