The underdog is back!

Fancied a walk, feeling better and my Mrs hogging the TV remote I grabbed the 22 and some eley HV HP.

Decided to circle some rough ground that is ideal for fox to lie up in during the day and dodge me during the day.

Some early mornings I get lucky but I likes me bed! This summer anyway.

I was half way around and three silenced center fire shots rang out, less than a mile away upwind!

I carried on my course.

My lamp spots a fox the other side of a valley, at least 400yds or more.

I stalks it down to under 100 yards.

Sitting down I could not aim so I waited, regulated my breathing and settled into the shot.

I aimed for a 100 yd shot but something said no, it's closer dummy, so I aimed lower conscious of the one I missed a few weeks ago at a similar distance!

The shot was a surprise which I like!

A thump came back, the fox lept up growling and snarling ran forty yards and piled up. As a show of my sincere respect for it I emptied my magazine into it but it was not really necessary.

I paced off at 90 but think the shot was 80. I noticed the wind had taken the bullet left a couple of inch which I was expecting.

What I was not expecting was the size of the brute, check the two pictures.

IMG-20181013-225340770-BURST001.jpg

IMG-20181013-225101159.jpg

On the way back I bumped into another!

Just as I was about to open a noisey gate I thought oops no, check the other side first and was I glad I did. Not fifty yards away there was another fox sniffing under a lyme!

It dropped to the shot, got back up, went on a death run and piled up forty yards away where upon I showed that one my gratitude by donating extra lead pills free of charge.

Another dog from out the "middle" as I call it.

IMG-20181013-231720998.jpg

Good session, so warm and humid, crazy weather. Humble little 22 to boot.

U.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see you are back amongst the living . Big old brute , been having a few myself, just looked in my diary and since October 1st I’ve shot 10 and 8 were big dog foxes in superb condition with nice coats . What a waste you can’t earn a few bob from the skins now . ☹️

• Like 1