They do keep coming!

Had a look out tonight, decided which field I was going to park in as I got to the shoot and as soon as I pulled into the field there was one out wondering across the field. I switched the truck engine off, turned off my lights and quietly got onto the back of my truck. By this time it was 250 yards away. A short sharp squeak stopped it and the 55grain dropped it. After that I put the caller on straight away and within 2 mins I had one behind me trying to catch my wind, before it had chance to I dropped that at 160 yards. I was happy with two so decided to call it an early night. Driving into the next field I could see over the headge into the next field with the thermal and there was some rabbits acting strange darting back and forth and standing upright so I decided to turn the truck off and get the rifle on the bonnet and it paid off! The third Charlie of the night came through the hedge into the field I was in 330 yards away from me. The Winchester varmint X whistled towards it and smacked it down dead centre in the chest! Two vixens and a dog down! A very productive hour and a half. Thats 43 now since January. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Stavross said:

Cracking job, your night went a lot better than mine, two hours out in the fields nothing to show for my efforts, walked back to the motor and one shot across the road into nextdoors farm, never mind, still nice to be out ?

So fustrating when that happens. I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve been out seen nothing then one runs infront of my truck crossing the road on the way home! ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was chuffed with it, only literally taken a couple at that distance, my best being 343 yards. I wouldn’t do it unless I had complete faith in my kit and goes without saying was an ultra safe shot! 

• Like 2

Which calibre are you using ?  I use 223 and have taken them out to 300 + on the odd occasion but this is not usual. I like to walk and get them in to about eighty if poss using the ground contours, hedges and woodland as a background whilst taking  note of the wind.

Ps. I forgot to say that we used to knock over about 250 .... 300 a year. The more we did the more filled the vacuum.  It became apparent  after a while that in certain  areas that we fed them up with residue carcasses they didn't do damage and held their territory keeping others out.  This saved a small fortune on fuel, time, wear and tear on vehicles, ammo ect. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Meece said:

Which calibre are you using ?  I use 223 and have taken them out to 300 + on the odd occasion but this is not usual. I like to walk and get them in to about eighty if poss using the ground contours, hedges and woodland as a background whilst taking  note of the wind.

Ps. I forgot to say that we used to knock over about 250 .... 300 a year. The more we did the more filled the vacuum.  It became apparent  after a while that in certain  areas that we fed them up with residue carcasses they didn't do damage and held their territory keeping others out.  This saved a small fortune on fuel, time, wear and tear on vehicles, ammo ect. 

I use a .22-250. I zero it inch high at 100 yards. My rifle is too heavy to by trying to sneak in closer and I don’t want to be walking around in the dark when there is a chance I could fall when out on my own or even just walk on debris and spook the fox. I have faith in the kit I use to drop foxes out at 300 yards, if it wasn’t a safe short or I wasn’t confident I wouldn’t do it. 

I see what you mean about numbers and feeding them up but when on a shoot the owners want to see numbers and as long as it means there a birds on shoot days they are happy. 

Cheers 

9 hours ago, Jarvis said:

My rifle is too heavy to by trying to sneak in closer and I don’t want to be walking around in the dark when there is a chance I could fall when out on my own or even just walk on debris and spook the fox.

I see what you mean about numbers and feeding them up but when on a shoot the owners want to see numbers and as long as it means there a birds on shoot days they are happy. 

I am about 1-1/2 inch high at 100 at extreme range I put x hairs inch + high over spine. And the impact is right in engine room. Mainly it is out of the back of hilux because of the amount of ground that has to be covered but I  like to foot it 'when I'm on my own.  Some say that I'm  barmy being out there on my own but it is better. No one to talk, No one to keep bumping in to when walking. Smaller presence and less noise.  One time I did fall over into a trench caused by rainwater running down a field. The wheat was up to the top of my boots and I didn't sea this little trench. Suddenly I was on my front with the rifle up wround my shoulder blades. I made a two leg rest to shoot off of when standing