Midland

fred90

IMO we are all different and we all expect different things in life, I was once sent a sample of netting from a net maker/mender (I do not wish to say who !) which I personally thought wasn’t up to the task, when I mentioned this to him he was obviously offended by my remark and we agreed that what suits him doesnt me. I am intrigued by any “new” (to me) type of twine to make a long net and long may people keep experimenting ...

I'm with you on that Mr. W.,, that's probably why I still take to the needles as we all like to try/see the different types of twines available,,   I doubt there is much out there though that I've not tried out though ?, to date my preference is a nice lightweight braided nylon,,  

Regards 

• Like 2
On 22/09/2018 at 20:22, smithie said:

Who are the renowned net makers that have seen it? I would have expected to hear of it before now it was as good as you say...

Tbh I don't fancy the wax

Alan Clarke exchanged twines long before we actually got the Guild of Net Makers up and running, Bill Sneddon and Derek weldon admired it last year when they saw it and then this year Alan Salmon was more than interested. I had the twines with me at Weston Park and the most asked question was " Where do you get this from?" I cant divulge that for reason someone will be in there and buy the lot ,I did give some away to visiting net makers.

As for not fancying the wax once again you have not seen this twine and give your opinion, its waxed for a reason to lubricate it when stitching, its not a hard wax obviously its actually shoe polish that is used on and thats very soft almost like butter.

Y.I.S Leeview

On 23/09/2018 at 08:37, Mr Wilkes said:

IMO we are all different and we all expect different things in life, I was once sent a sample of netting from a net maker/mender (I do not wish to say who !) which I personally thought wasn’t up to the task, when I mentioned this to him he was obviously offended by my remark and we agreed that what suits him doesnt me. I am intrigued by any “new” (to me) type of twine to make a long net and long may people keep experimenting ...

it may be new to you but ive been using it for close on 30 years. the twines go back a lot further some of these mills closed  nearly that long ago and research shows the labels dating from 1920, the Barbour twine goes back years and is now labelled as Barbour Coates (nothing to do with waxed jackets) still higher standards than the far eastern imported twine texture like barbed wire in comparison

Y.I.S Leeview

41 minutes ago, Leeview said:

Alan Clarke exchanged twines long before we actually got the Guild of Net Makers up and running, Bill Sneddon and Derek weldon admired it last year when they saw it and then this year Alan Salmon was more than interested. I had the twines with me at Weston Park and the most asked question was " Where do you get this from?" I cant divulge that for reason someone will be in there and buy the lot ,I did give some away to visiting net makers.

As for not fancying the wax once again you have not seen this twine and give your opinion, its waxed for a reason to lubricate it when stitching, its not a hard wax obviously its actually shoe polish that is used on and thats very soft almost like butter.

Y.I.S Leeview

Thanks for the reply. Guess that's me told lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Leeview said:

it may be new to you but ive been using it for close on 30 years. the twines go back a lot further some of these mills closed  nearly that long ago and research shows the labels dating from 1920, the Barbour twine goes back years and is now labelled as Barbour Coates (nothing to do with waxed jackets) still higher standards than the far eastern imported twine texture like barbed wire in comparison

Y.I.S Leeview

Yes it is new to me and like to see some, do you have a sample you could post ? I will obviously pay .