Four more down

6 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I reckon I get more satisfaction, getting on terms with one shy troublesome fox than I do going out and shooting a truck full. If they have been upsetting and killing your birds , there is a massive sense of relief when you stop them . 

Could'nt agree more!!

I’ve got one now that is causing me problems , I think it’s a cub . It waits until I’ve done my afternoon feed and then chases the poults on the feed rides . Every time I come back he hears me and is off . I’ve been out the last two nights and have seen two the first night and shot one , and nothing of it last night , although I shot two the other side of the shoot . I’m out again in a minute . If I don’t get him tonight I’m going to cover every track in the area with snares . I love a snare for foxes like this . Checking them in the morning is like a kid coming downstairs on xmas morning to see what Santa has left for him , and if you’ve been a good boy !!! He will be doing a little dance for you . Boom!!! Ya B@sturd !!

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve got one now that is causing me problems , I think it’s a cub . It waits until I’ve done my afternoon feed and then chases the poults on the feed rides . Every time I come back he hears me and is off . I’ve been out the last two nights and have seen two the first night and shot one , and nothing of it last night , although I shot two the other side of the shoot . I’m out again in a minute . If I don’t get him tonight I’m going to cover every track in the area with snares . I love a snare for foxes like this . Checking them in the morning is like a kid coming downstairs on xmas morning to see what Santa has left for him , and if you’ve been a good boy !!! He will be doing a little dance for you . Boom!!! Ya B@sturd !!

If it’s on a ride and you know roughly what time (after you feed) couldn’t you set a high seat up?

5 hours ago, Jarvis said:

If it’s on a ride and you know roughly what time (after you feed) couldn’t you set a high seat up?

I could, but I have been at this game a long time now, I have spent countless hours , waiting for foxes like this one . I could put highseat up or tuck myself away and wait . The fox could come along after 10minuets or 10 hours . I’ve got 100 and 1 other things to get on with . Thing is with a snare , they are working while you are tucked up in bed or spending time with the family. I do spend time waiting for foxes when they have cubs and at other times but now the birds are getting out and about I’m too busy .

• Like 2
8 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I could, but I have been at this game a long time now, I have spent countless hours , waiting for foxes like this one . I could put highseat up or tuck myself away and wait . The fox could come along after 10minuets or 10 hours . I’ve got 100 and 1 other things to get on with . Thing is with a snare , they are working while you are tucked up in bed or spending time with the family. I do spend time waiting for foxes when they have cubs and at other times but now the birds are getting out and about I’m too busy .

Do you use cage traps? If so do you have much success? 

1 hour ago, Jarvis said:

Do you use cage traps? If so do you have much success? 

I’ve never set cage traps for adult foxes around the shoot . I catch cubs in them , baited with pigeon. I also had an adult fox in a Larson trap this year . An old keeper told me it’s a waste of time and it’s not very successful and that was good enough for me.I believe they are more successful around buildings and more urban environments where foxes are used to man made things being about . I might be wrong, I’m sure some people have had success with them . cubs are easy to catch in them though . 

F0714354-2557-4FA5-967B-B5697A246155.jpeg

CAD76193-B132-4A71-A6B7-534D5E68CA9E.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Underdog said:

With cages get the bladder out of a fox and put it inside. They will feel safer.

When I was foxing alot my coats stunk of fox, I have had them walk past my feet a few times!

Yes I’ve herd this with urine in traps, I do the same thing in rabbit traps. (With rabbit pee obviously not fox)!!

• Like 1