I really wanted this to be a good review ?

A few weeks ago I bought an ATN X-Sight II 3-14 because I've been looking around for something that could eventually go on my TX for some night time springer hunting.

...... Initially, to get to grips with it and, to learn all of it's technology, the plan was to have it on the HW100 for a while.

On the face of it, it should have been an excellent bit of kit - HD camera, Obsidian app, 1 shot zero, day & night use, range finder & shot correction (once set up), GPS & WiFi, take pictures and record video, all sorts.

It's a solid, well made unit and, it's packaged nicely.

I bought a dovetail to weaver adaptor rail at the same time and, got it set up for a comfortable head position.

IMG_20180805_161551.jpg

IMG_20180629_132101.jpg

IMG_20180629_132154.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with Pulsar N870 or N970 lrf . My N870 LRF is absolutely brilliant would not be with out it IMO the best NV although some will say the Drone pro is better but it has no range finder

Never.  I've got both jimmy and the thermal is awesome, but it does have drawbacks as well,  in certain conditions it's totally blind, damp wet evenings for example, if there is a lot of moisture

For the life of me I can't remember what he had when he came down to mine.    

Posted Images

The problems started when Dave rang and invited me up to his golf course permission.

....... We agreed to get there for 7:30pm.

I thought I'd have a quick zero then, set off for some day time hunting and, just switch the X-Sight to night mode when it got dark.

The X-Sight runs of 4 x AA batteries - I'd heard that it gobbles through these pretty quickly.

There is a battery pack that can be purchased but, I hate having extra things strapped to the rifle butt.

I got in from work and went to put the torch on the unit then, I discovered that it runs off different batteries, not AAs. Bugger!

....... That pissed me off a bit but, I should have checked it sooner.

I thought feck it, I was running late so, I opted to go without and just shoot as far into dusk as possible.

When I got there, Dave and me set up a target at 25yrds for a quick first zero. The idea was to do this then, move out to 37yrds for the final zero.

I took the first shot then, put the X-Sight into zero mode, kept one cross hair on the point of aim and, moved the other to the point of impact.

...... That should have been the zero sorted.

Not so - it was all over the feckin place.

...... On the targets below, I only aimed at the middle 2" circles.

...... The shots went all over the place - a good few even cut lines in the ground in front of the target.

(These shots were all taken at 25yrds)

I checked all of the fittings, all of the allen bolts, the barrel, the silencer.

I spent 9 mags of pellets trying to get this to work.

Also, zooming into the target, not to the highest setting, gives a very grainy picture - that would have seriously done my head in after a short while.

Battery life is less than stated - I got half an hour from 4 brand new AAs (luckily I took a multipack with me) while doing nothing more than having the sight switched on and using the zero function.

Maybe I just got a particularly poor unit but, it's going back and, I won't buy another.

IMG_20180805_161429.jpg

IMG_20180805_161353.jpg

• Sad 2

Dave's invited me up to the golf club again this Tuesday so, it was time to bring back old faithful :yes:

The Airmax is back where it belongs, ready to be matched up with the Viper when it gets dark.

I've also fitted separate mounts this time, instead of the 1pc, so that I can get the bracket on for the NV rangefinder :thumbs:

I spent some time at Black Cat today making sure that I was properly zeroed with JSB Heavies.

..... I also mapped out the reticle for Polymags.

Interestingly, the Polymags needed no windage adjustment - just hold under.

....... I might give them a whirl on Tuesday :yes:

IMG_20180805_161145.jpg

IMG_20180805_161242.jpg

Mate, your the second person I've heard had problems with this unit, and all Nv will eat batteries, get a pack, or better still buy the components and build one and they last for days, long enough lead to slip into a coat pocket and your laughing, I've never looked back since doing that.

• Like 1

It must be faulty reading this jon.. poi changing on a pcp? Spells it’s fcuked!

stick with your nitesite?

Or put some hours in on the lamp.. cheap cheerfull and back to basics!

ive not used the nv for a few months , been smashing rats with it too?

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Mate, your the second person I've heard had problems with this unit, and all Nv will eat batteries, get a pack, or better still buy the components and build one and they last for days, long enough lead to slip into a coat pocket and your laughing, I've never looked back since doing that.

It's shocking really, for what it costs.

The NS has a little power pack that lasts for hours but, it's small enough to attach to the scope :thumbs:

35 minutes ago, walshie said:

Read what IanB thinks of the ATN on the NV section of this forum.

I don't doubt him but, I didn't even get to try it at night :no:

i daren't try to hunt with it.

....... Lesson learned :yes:

28 minutes ago, si brown said:

It must be faulty reading this jon.. poi changing on a pcp? Spells it’s fcuked!

stick with your nitesite?

Or put some hours in on the lamp.. cheap cheerfull and back to basics!

ive not used the nv for a few months , been smashing rats with it too?

I reckon it is mate - I was amazed at some of the shots that just went wherever they wanted to.

....... I know it's definitely not the rifle because it was spot on again today at the club :thumbs:

i might give lamping a go - my Ledray torch has got a rats tail switch and different coloured filters.

...... The golf club is huge - there will be corners where they're not lamp shy :hmm:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

It's shocking really, for what it costs.

The NS has a little power pack that lasts for hours but, it's small enough to attach to the scope :thumbs:

I know, I've worked my way through a lot of kit over the years trying to find what I was happy with, it's cost me an arm and a leg, the best bang for my buck has been the pulsar 'n' range, currently have the 970lrf and very happy with it, but not much good daytime so I just have a spare rifle for the day shooting now.

you can build a pack whatever size you like, I use 4 batteries in mine and it lasts me 5 or 6 nights shooting.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Jon have you try,d a photon mate i know

vm dose not like them but there ok

if you want ill box mine up and send it down for you

so you can have a play for a few weeks

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thank you for the offer mate - much appreciated :thumbs:

I've tried a Photon and that posh one that that David Evans has got - they both made me feel dizzy :blink:

I reckon I could be stuck with screens or daytime hunting - unless I learn to use a lamp :hmm:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rabid said:

I know, I've worked my way through a lot of kit over the years trying to find what I was happy with, it's cost me an arm and a leg, the best bang for my buck has been the pulsar 'n' range, currently have the 970lrf and very happy with it, but not much good daytime so I just have a spare rifle for the day shooting now.

you can build a pack whatever size you like, I use 4 batteries in mine and it lasts me 5 or 6 nights shooting.

I think that might be the kiddie that David Evans uses - expensive looking rectangular scope?

1 minute ago, Jonjon79 said:

I think that might be the kiddie that David Evans uses - expensive looking rectangular scope?

IMG_0197.JPG

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Rabid said:

IMG_0197.JPG

That looks like it - it had a remote control on a wire for the range finder (?) and some other functions.

Good picture btw :good: