Split Cases .22 Hornet

Looks like over hardened cases and the "heat" of the second firing has cracked the brittle metal ,luckily the chamber contained the released pressure on firing .Funny metal brass can be as forgiving as you like or as weak as a kitten .

1 hour ago, 3175darren said:

I have never had that with the hornet either, what are they 35-40 grn ???

35 grain , I was surprised to say the least. Had a few slit cases in hmr, but not for a while, but didn’t expect it with the hornet. Only fired 12 from the box, 3 split. No sign of splitting on the unfired remaining rounds.

12 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

35 grain , I was surprised to say the least. Had a few slit cases in hmr, but not for a while, but didn’t expect it with the hornet. Only fired 12 from the box, 3 split. No sign of splitting on the unfired remaining rounds.

Take them back mate that shouldn’t be happening, any loss of accuracy ???

1 minute ago, 3175darren said:

Take them back mate that shouldn’t be happening, any loss of accuracy ???

I’ve been thinking about that. I was setting up at 110 yards, shooting around an inch, no flyers, with bipod, off the bonnet. Not too bad. Looking at the remaining rounds/ box of 50, they look ok? In fact, I was thinking of picking some more up before this happened. Not so sure what to do now. They’re a good bit cheaper than the Hornady’s though. £31/50. I don’t know whether to shoot the rest of the box and see what happens, or take them back.

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

f***ing hell, boycott the Hornet. Poxy calibre! Only a matter of time before receivers are exploding from squibs. :whistling: :tongue2:

Quite a regular occurrence with reloaded metallic cartridges mate.

It happens upon firing with no I'll effects or risks.

If you're referring to the hmr then that issue is the case splitting before firing, exposing the contents to unknown influence.

U.

• Like 1
Just now, Underdog said:

Quite a regular occurrence with reloaded metallic cartridges mate.

It happens upon firing with no I'll effects or risks.

If you're referring to the hmr then that issue is the case splitting before firing, exposing the contents to unknown influence.

U.

I trust you know more than me on this. I was really just looking to bait the HMR-phobic Hornet aficionados. It was just too ironic not to try for a bit of friendly sport. :D

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Rimfireboy! said:

I’ve been thinking about that. I was setting up at 110 yards, shooting around an inch, no flyers, with bipod, off the bonnet. Not too bad. Looking at the remaining rounds/ box of 50, they look ok? In fact, I was thinking of picking some more up before this happened. Not so sure what to do now. They’re a good bit cheaper than the Hornady’s though. £31/50. I don’t know whether to shoot the rest of the box and see what happens, or take them back.

To reload these cases warm them in gas flame for a second. It should make all the difference.

Hold the case near the case head and remove from heat as soon as you feel it.

• Like 2