Just cleaning up a bunch a traps, as I do around this time every year. Realised that I have this Fenn about ten years now, and it looks in very good nick with feck all rust to be seen.

I give them a clean, and I spray paint them every year, or every other year, depending on how bad they are. I personally think it's worth it.

20180718_144600.jpg

2 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

What you spray them with 

I boil them in water and breadsoda mix for about a half hour. Then a quick scrub with a wire brush. Once dried i use Rustolium mat black on them. It holds up well, even on the river bank.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2018 at 14:56, EDDIE B said:

Just cleaning up a bunch a traps, as I do around this time every year. Realised that I have this Fenn about ten years now, and it looks in very good nick with feck all rust to be seen.

I give them a clean, and I spray paint them every year, or every other year, depending on how bad they are. I personally think it's worth it.

20180718_144600.jpg

Never done much trapping. Is it fenn traps or gin traps that's illegal in Ireland. I could never understand the reasoning if vermin gets killed either way:

2 hours ago, jiggy said:

Never done much trapping. Is it fenn traps or gin traps that's illegal in Ireland. I could never understand the reasoning if vermin gets killed either way:

Gin are illegal. They are seen as inhumane now a days, because they have serated jaws, and work more as a foothold, than a kill trap. 

I'm seriously thinking of jacking it all in. Things are really tightening up in this country with regards trapping. One poor f****r done in court recently, for feckin nothing.

5 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Gin are illegal. They are seen as inhumane now a days, because they have serated jaws, and work more as a foothold, than a kill trap. 

I'm seriously thinking of jacking it all in. Things are really tightening up in this country with regards trapping. One poor f****r done in court recently, for feckin nothing.

I agree with you. Larsen traps are a fcukin minefield now depending on who is interpreting the laws. You can be both right and wrong at the same time depending on the dickhead with the summons

7 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I agree with you. Larsen traps are a fcukin minefield now depending on who is interpreting the laws. You can be both right and wrong at the same time depending on the dickhead with the summons

Yes exactly! The laws are so vague over here with regards trapping, yet its easy fool a Judge into believing that Joe soap has done wrong. All depends on how bad  c**t wants to nail ya.

6 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Yes exactly! The laws are so vague over here with regards trapping, yet its easy fool a Judge into believing that Joe soap has done wrong. All depends on how bad  c**t wants to nail ya.

Carry on regardless. The pine Martin release program from cage traps is going well ?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

What traps was he importing?

Not sure, but no mention of illegal traps, so take it they just got him on simply importing, which is crazy.

That's how I read it anyway.

Do you boys leave the traps out the whole season? In a DIY cubby? Where u fish is overrun with rats. Put two live traps down a week ago, do you think the b*****d have gone In? Is it better covering the trap to make it more tunnel like?