Out ready and waiting

Zeroed the .223 at 200 and hitting a penny v max 55g 

3 tins of kit cat out at different ranges with a 180 degree shooting range , caller out at 100 yards with mouse on 

all on the stubble. Just a waiting game now , I’ll post back tomorrow 

one way or the other

atb lads 

• Like 5

Good luck , I’m waiting for the rape to get cut . The harvest will probably start a bit earlier because of the weather . I’ve still got one or two about , I’m spotting them with the thermal but they are not hanging around . I may try “baiting and waiting “ myself . Let us know how you get on ?

Good luck , I’m waiting for the rape to get cut . The harvest will probably start a bit earlier because of the weather . I’ve still got one or two about , I’m spotting them with the thermal but they are not hanging around . I may try “baiting and waiting “ myself . Let us know how you get on ?

2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I was at a client in Oxford last Sat, and his crop of rape appears destroyed, the whole 33 acres in one field is brown and crisp and dead!

2 minutes ago, Deker said:

I was at a client in Oxford last Sat, and his crop of rape appears destroyed, the whole 33 acres in one field is brown and crisp and dead!

They spray the rape off with glyphosate (round up) to desiccate it and make it easier to harvest. Was it that ? Or some sort of disease? 

7 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

They spray the rape off with glyphosate (round up) to desiccate it and make it easier to harvest. Was it that ? Or some sort of disease? 

I think it is heatstroke, I'm there most Saturdays and it has steadily died, never grown to any height either and no sign of any crop (seed).  I've seen rape there over about 6 years in different fields and never seen this before!

Next time I see him I'll ask, or keep an eye on the field and see what happens to it!

Edited by Deker

It,s all livestock where i go but the ground is split ,cracked and the hillsides are falling away 25mins rain in 60 days is not good for any sort of farm or garden .Its like because we are leaving the EU Spain is giving us their weather as we paid for their motorways:whistling:

• Haha 1

Didn't see one fox at range all nite , well up to 2.30 a way , have to say the stubble is like stuck up needles, walking over it . It sounds like broken grass , there is a small wood of to the right of where I was , and I could hear a vixen calling , so I changed the caller to the vixen call and after 2/3 minutes, she came out right on the edge of the wood , and just sat there at 50 yards , i took the shot and I know I hit it , I could see it on its back thro the scope , I walked over to where it lay , and fuk me it had gone , I searched high and low , but to no avail, 

i waited till first light , and went back over and I could see the blood on the ground and tried to follow it , but it was no good ! It must have got back into the wood I serched for at least 1 hour , and gave up , I've heard of foxes running after been shot but it's never happened to me , I don't think I'll be shooting down the side of the wood again , just I case this happens again , and there no chance of a despatch shot if needed 

on a final note I don't think that I would want to be walking thro stubble like that in search of a mouse or two , it must play fuc with the paws , just hope we get some heavy rain to soften every thing up soon , Atb 

• Like 3

I had the same thing happen to me last week . Took the shot and heard the “whumph” and watched it wriggle on the ground with its tail in the air . I made a mental note of where it was in relation to the hedge / fence . Went to the spot to retrieve it .....gone !!! Looked high and low with my thermal and a lamp , nothing . Climbed the fence behind and searched the bit of wood / undergrowth , again nothing . So I went back the next day to have a look with one of my terriers who has a good nose for Charlie , but I didn’t need him , the fox had run out into the field about 15-20 yards from where I’d shot it and was clearly visible in the day light . I never count a fox on to my tally unless I find it’s body . You can try looking with a dog or leave it a day or so and your nose will probably lead you to it . ATB

• Like 3