Well my eyes aren’t deceiving me , we are actually having a drop of rain , not much but maybe enough to dampen the dust . I have been driving around the estate, kicking up a dust trail like a Mujahideen fleeing an Apache helicopter. I forgot what a nice smell there is when it rains ! 

i was coming up from newcastle back to Scotland today and it was hissing down saw a lorry of straw going the other way bet the owner of that was peed off been dry for 8 weeks and a guy gets a load of wet straw 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Just been down on the rye grass / silage fields and nearly sprained my ankle. The size of the cracks in the ground ! Still no rain ! 

AEA26968-50D9-4E98-91BF-B2427AB73B33.jpeg

That’s my front lawn ?clay soil here ,been raining couple hours here now, 

i suppose I will have to start weeding down the allotment again now .

• Like 1

Got to admit we are needing the rain there's no body to the grass and its going to make poor hay or silage , a few folk where moaning about the heat i said i bet you also moaned 12 weeks ago when you where shoveling snow they replied you know your right LOl some folk are never happy 

It’s here at last , a decent drop of rain . Probably too late for one of my maize covers . The fallow and roe and badgers have flattened it , not a lot else to eat I suppose. Thinking of spraying off and sowing some mustard or stubble turnip or fodder radish . Still got a bit of time . 

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/08/2018 at 18:06, j j m said:

nothing but rain now

Aye it seems that way dont know if its too little too late might help some of the crops to bulk up ?. but the farmers are saying  a lot of veg is going to be scares but they always say that