3 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

We all know extinction occurs naturally but the impact we have had on animals is devastating and disgusting.

I believe the current consensus is that we're contributing to this at 1000 times the background rate.

3 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

I believe the current consensus is that we're contributing to this at 1000 times the background rate.

Not too bad then hey, no zoo is going to write that wrong sadly.

2 minutes ago, si brown said:

been there a few times.. the kids love it?

my main memory of there is the bat cave, fcuk it stinks:laugh:

Yep I'm sure one pissed on me, was great watching everyone nervous as they passed their heads. ?

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, si brown said:

been there a few times.. the kids love it?

my main memory of there is the bat cave, fcuk it stinks:laugh:

I know I need Alfred to give it a clean , 

the best thing I’ve ever seen was at an African safari park , we were at the chimps and the guide said if you chant his name he’ll come up and see you 

pogo pogo pogo pogo certainly brought him running up alright, straight up to the small fence with a pile of shite in his hands and caught my mate square in the face with it ! 

I couldn’t breathe for about 20 mins 

anyway reference zoos, Colchester is good, didn’t like seeing the Amur leopard though, looked a bit like a lurcher at the end of the season for me , all skinny and robotic with a dusty coat

poor things 

the tigers are also disappointing there as they seem somehow aware they are being stared at, stupid I know but wasn’t a fan. 

Easily the beat thing we’re the otters , 10 bags of chaos going mental in a great big pool ! 

• Haha 1
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 07:39, Kerny92 said:

Went for a lovely day out with the family yesterday, bit of a trek like but worth it. Only trouble is didn't get the time to see all the twatting animals! The layout isn't the best as you have to track back to try and see everything. Forget the Lions and the Tigers, the real stars of the show for me were the Bush Dogs. Proper little characters and fascinating, the way they go about their business cracks me up. They resemble a Patterdale/Ferret cross, apparently they hunt the Capybara and other larger animals. Absolutely amazed by them i was, can't find no footage of them at all hunting. 

where these the ones? would like to see them hunt . If I could would love to see African Wild Dogs hunting

bush dog 220px-Speothos_venaticus_Zoo_Praha_2011-5_(cropped).jpg

bush-dog-03.jpg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, robertb123 said:

where these the ones? would like to see them hunt . If I could would love to see African Wild Dogs hunting

bush dog 220px-Speothos_venaticus_Zoo_Praha_2011-5_(cropped).jpg

bush-dog-03.jpg

Yep these were the critters, honestly they were fascinating. The way they follow each other almost step for step was great. I suppose this behaviour is a product of their environment as they live in thick bush and won't be able to see each other. I think they follow each other by scent and with quiet calls.

I can't really find any footage of them hunting together, I've read they hunt a variation of prey which includes the Capybara and even the Tapir which is almost unbelievable as they are huge and these are Terrier size.

Honestly if you can go see them i highly recommend it, brilliant little animal and full of energy going about their business. It would be amazing to see a film on them or see them in their habitat.

52 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

the best thing I’ve ever seen was at an African safari park , we were at the chimps and the guide said if you chant his name he’ll come up and see you 

pogo pogo pogo pogo certainly brought him running up alright, straight up to the small fence with a pile of shite in his hands and caught my mate square in the face with it ! 

anyway reference zoos, Colchester is good, didn’t like seeing the Amur leopard though, looked a bit like a lurcher at the end of the season for me , all skinny and robotic with a dusty coat

poor things 

the tigers are also disappointing there as they seem somehow aware they are being stared at, stupid I know but wasn’t a fan. 

Easily the beat thing we’re the otters , 10 bags of chaos going mental in a great big pool ! 

A lot of the Big Cats at the zoo look sick and malnourished. I can bet a lot have been hand reared so may have been bottle fed thus not getting all the proper nutrients. Combine that with a poor diet and you get these sickly looking animas with poor coat and a terrible bone structure. 

The cats at Howletts were magnificent animals from what i remember though, the cat that killed a keeper was named Balkash i believe and was a huge Siberian Tiger, one of the biggest I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

poor things 

from what I can gather a lot of you lads are from down south but if you ever venture up to north Yorkshire flamingo land is a good day out for the family!

theres a zoo and loads of sh1t your pants rides.. the zoo isn't as good as the likes of Chester but its certainly not bad!

ive not been for a while but last time I went there was a massive Siberian tiger.. I never realised how big them fcukers are and its got a massive area to stroll about too. 

you can do a zoo keeper for the day too which kids love and they have to be supervised by an adult so mum or dad gets to do it as well?

http://www.flamingoland.co.uk

• Like 2
On 06/05/2018 at 16:36, Kerny92 said:

Are they the ones set up by Aspinal? They've had a few deaths over the years with Tigers. The male that killed a keeper was huge!

Yeah that's the one's mate.Had a couple of keepers killed be the same tiger about 30yrs ago at Howletts and a keeper killed by an elephant at Port Lympne.Thats when the old man Aspinal was still running the show and they actively encourage the keepers to engage with the animals.I can remember going to Howletts as a kid and seeing the old man rolling about in an enclosure with 30 odd Gorillas the mad old c**t.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Yeah that's the one's mate.Had a couple of keepers killed be the same tiger about 30yrs ago at Howletts and a keeper killed by an elephant at Port Lympne.Thats when the old man Aspinal was still running the show and they actively encourage the keepers to engage with the animals.I can remember going to Howletts as a kid and seeing the old man rolling about in an enclosure with 30 odd Gorillas the mad old c**t.

I remember an interview from him mentioning the time he got his first Tiger, he was walking the Tigress on a leash at night and it killed a Rottweiler so he says. I know his son was still carrying on his fathers work, that includes wrestling with Gorillas.

40 minutes ago, mackem said:

I always wondered exactly what he knew about lord Lucan's escape.

Well he either ended up living his days in Africa or ended up Tiger food for one of Aspinall's Tigers.

• Like 1