Day off on Dartmoor

Had a day owed to me and fancied getting up on the moor whilst we had the weather. Had an area in mind where we have had a couple of decent runs in the past. Unfortunately the military ranges were open when I got there so I moved to a new area. Mid week is really quiet up there and I only bumped into 2 other people all day. Cold wind but the sun was up and visibility was good. Been up there in all types of weather but cold with the sun up is unbeatable. Seen a couple of rabbits in the lower cover and the lurcher followed a couple of lines higher up which just ended at great piles of rocks. Although I don’t see much, I have really started to enjoy this type of hunting. The dogs are slowly taking to it and don’t range too far. No doubt we would see a lot more with a few more dogs in the pack that do this week in week out. ATB. 

EF0CA0BA-B7F2-4035-AC95-28CC56C6D4B8.jpeg

E0AB6071-AA8A-47EC-9AF2-FEC28D0D1864.jpeg

• Like 15

I wanted him for bushing to the lurcher, mooching and ferreting. I didn’t want to go for terrier because I wanted to limit the possibility of going to ground....he has had the chance to but hasn’t done of yet. This litter came up and really suited. Both parents were proven spaniel x terriers (various spaniels and terriers in the mix) so I went for it. If I was doing more on the hill I would go for a beagle/spaniel/terrier type next. 

Edited by white van man
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Allan P said:

That’s pretty much how all my hunting is done nowadays.  3-4 hours mooching on Dartmoor early morning or evening time is great fun. Sometimes don’t see much but the times you do makes it worth it.  

Yep being out there is good enough for me. It’s an hour drive for me to Okehampton but worth it. Going to start heading to different areas of the moor now. 

23 minutes ago, white van man said:

Yep being out there is good enough for me. It’s an hour drive for me to Okehampton but worth it. Going to start heading to different areas of the moor now. 

I’m in Newton Abbot so 15mins I can be on the Moor.  I’m up there most days when not offshore.  I mainly stick to the same old places tbh. It’s hard work for one Lurcher but it’s good just being out and about.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/02/2018 at 13:57, Allan P said:

I’m in Newton Abbot so 15mins I can be on the Moor.  I’m up there most days when not offshore.  I mainly stick to the same old places tbh. It’s hard work for one Lurcher but it’s good just being out and about.  

Another walk out today. Was ok on the lower ground but visibility on the Tors was pretty poor. Dogs had a couple of runs in the cover on the low ground. A bit of fresh air if nothing else! 

31C6D4B0-250C-4029-93B3-6446151691C3.jpeg

3B24897A-9E0A-4DA6-82CC-3B0DDC1C1B55.jpeg

429DC7D7-172E-47CB-83F6-301A67825313.jpeg

E398B294-1630-4881-B283-0ED0230D5E92.jpeg

2C65BCD9-79B0-4EF2-A93D-BA7890727B4F.jpeg

• Like 14

Beautiful spot! I only get to work the dogs here once a year (though after each visit my lovely wife is coming round more and more to the idea of moving) but it's the highlight of my calendar. Old Rusty (the kelpie in my avatar) had his ashes scattered about half an hours walk from where the earlier photos were taken and we honeymooned here thirteen years ago.

We usually go in October half term but we're going in May this year...hopefully so that the wife and kids can see it sometimes rains less! She's posher than me so the fact that there's a Waitrose close by is helping to persuade her too!:D

• Haha 2