AWESOME New Hunting Mink!

21 minutes ago, mackem said:

Enry,any chance you can do a video on hunting raccoon with your lurcher? :thumbs:

42 minutes ago, Minkenry said:

Yeah he's a wild one! You can train the human aggression out of a mink, but you can't train a mink to have more grit or determination than it was naturally born with. You can boost an animal's confidence, but you can never create confidence that isn't there. Is it more convenient to have a mink that is born with both the way Brocc is? Sure it is! But I'll take a mink who is a great hunter and also wants to eat me, over a mink who is an ok hunter and friendly with people too. I can always make that mean mink nice, but I can never make that average mink great if it doesn't want to be great.

Muskrats are a challenging prey, even for a mink, the one animal in nature who is born to hunt them. Muskrats are big and SUPER aggressive. The Brown rats you are accustomed to on your side of the pond can be pretty aggressive too, but they are rarely as aggressive as an average muskrat, and typically only 200-400 grams maybe a little over 600 grams at the VERY most. Even a young muskrat is typically bigger and has a MUCH worse bite than even the largest of large brown rats. An average adult muskrat is around 800-900 grams, and the real big ones can get over 1,200 grams! It takes a good mink with a real confident and driven temperament to take muskrats day in and day out, season after season. A lot of mink can take them hear and there, and kill the average and easy ones, but a mink that will take EVERY muskrat it can, EVERY time, and do it over and over and over again...... now that's a good mink! I'll happily take a hard to deal with mink, if he'll do what I just described! Every now and then you run into a BIG OLD muskrat who wants to fight, and its times like those that you find out what  your mink's really made of! I'd rather have a mink who wants to bite me, and will happily take on the big bad muskrat that most mink can't handle, than have a nice mink who will only take the average and below average muskrat. Of course the ideal is to have a mink who is both human friendly AND confident on even the worst of muskrats, but finding that ideal is VERY difficult! 

:thumbs:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have started a new mink project! Meet my newest mink. Brocc- named after the old English word for "badger" because of his big thick head and shoulders and brazenly confident personality. He is

Honestly I'm still trying to answer that question. When is the best age to start hunting biting prey with a mink? I wish I had someone I could ask that could give me a straight answer! Unfortunately I

Sure, I can do that. With skunks I just kill them with a rock or gun, as my wife HATES it when my dog gets sprayed!   

1 hour ago, mackem said:

Enry,any chance you can do a video on hunting raccoon with your lurcher? :thumbs:

I used to have a video on YouTube that was unlisted, but I couldn't find it so I must have already erased it. Sorry, I'll try to get another one. I don't typically show that stuff off because it can be kind of brutal.

• Like 1

I understand that mate,if you feel uncomfortable showing the kill then don't,but if you could just show the hunting part,whether tracking,lamping or digging that's interesting enough :thumbs: or skunks or jackrabbits,anything we don't see over here to be honest mate :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mackem said:

I understand that mate,if you feel uncomfortable showing the kill then don't,but if you could just show the hunting part,whether tracking,lamping or digging that's interesting enough :thumbs: or skunks or jackrabbits,anything we don't see over here to be honest mate :)

Sure, I can do that. With skunks I just kill them with a rock or gun, as my wife HATES it when my dog gets sprayed! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Minkenry said:

would you say Henry  , to kill the racoons  you might be better of with dog with  more bitting power , so it  do the job that bit more quicker, in that way it more humane and the dog  get less hurt . dont get me wrong i thing your bitch does great job on all the quarry she shown , and as you say  she got the guts to tackle any quarry.  but suppose if not doing them regular  it dont really matter , i think there was vid of a old time hunter , he had  plott hound x apbt  bitch  , it just looked like a big pit  24-25in say , but bloody hell   you could see the biting power in it, he said the coons didnt last long with her, suppose right dog for the job springs to mind.   keep the vids coming   there great  :thumbs:

18 hours ago, delboy_187 said:

Your messing  about the brutal bit arent you .. you wont show vids of  lurcher on coon etc cause it's brutal .. but willing to make one bashing skunks over ther head with a rock .. ffs ?????:rofl:

lol,  wonder how a dog  would handle one to one, on the lynx , they look quite big in the vids  about size of a lab .

10 minutes ago, bird said:

lol,  wonder how a dog  would handle one to one, on the lynx , they look quite big in the vids  about size of a lab .

The fella in America does them with his stags apparently ray, a lynx can kill an adult wolf so who knows ray

I'd reckon lynx bobcat mountain lion what ever they like to be called .would be to much for lurcher more powerful more intelligent(precision bitting clawing ) more agile .faster. better defence .. claws disemboul or mark up   a lurcher real bad in my eyes any way ..racoon.. coyote..wolf... fox..be as much and as big a dog could handle 

On 1/6/2018 at 04:27, bird said:

would you say Henry  , to kill the racoons  you might be better of with dog with  more bitting power , so it  do the job that bit more quicker, in that way it more humane and the dog  get less hurt . dont get me wrong i thing your bitch does great job on all the quarry she shown , and as you say  she got the guts to tackle any quarry.  but suppose if not doing them regular  it dont really matter , i think there was vid of a old time hunter , he had  plott hound x apbt  bitch  , it just looked like a big pit  24-25in say , but bloody hell   you could see the biting power in it, he said the coons didnt last long with her, suppose right dog for the job springs to mind.   keep the vids coming   there great  :thumbs:

Actually I'm very surprised at how powerful my lurcher's bite is. I'm guessing it must come from the staghound side of her breeding. She can literally crush a large feral cat's skull so the eyes pop out with just a couple crunches! Raccoons are much tougher than cats, and don't typically go down without a good fight. I never really intended for her to be a raccoon dog, I just like to catch a few with her every now and then. I mostly wanted her for working along side the mink, and doing some feral cat pest control, both of which she had done wonderfully at. I'll see about getting a coon video I can show you guys.

• Like 3
On 1/8/2018 at 11:40, bird said:

I've never even seen a lynx in real life. Maybe at a zoo I guess, but I don't remember if I did. I've seen bobcats at a zoo, but I've never seen them in the wild ether. So I can't really say how hard they are on a dog. I would suppose that they wouldn't be easy, but I couldn't say how hard. 

• Like 1