Show your guns

I know that ths is probably impracticable and people would laugh at me ( wouldnt care), but if I  had to stand waiting for hours in the driving snow, and I knew that I'd be waiting for hours, i'd set up something like this sentrý tent in camo white /black .  ( one of the stand up ones) .https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sentry+tent&oq=sentry+tent&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.20465j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8   With a seat and some sort of heat source. I like my comfort when out shooting.  If its beating down with rain or so cold that none of it is a pleasant experience I  won't go. I'll look out the window and say look at those silly b's. Is a thing like this used in these sort of conditions?

Edited by Meece

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An old lady from '62 (Gebruder Merkel Suhl, 16/70) used for almost anything from quail to wild boar  My favorite rifle for stalking deer/chamois - a Brno 22f from '49, 7x57 The m

A couple of pics of my Mossberg 500 8 shot on pt1 showing the safety catch slide that I made from steel when the nylon one broke across the screw hole.  I have posted this pic for the benefit of Wombl

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Meece said:

Two hours ! WaitIng in the snow. Its a wonder that you didnt get frostbite and just at the moment the action started the scope was frozen up and you couldn't see through it.   how do you handle that sort of situation. Do you rely on hand warmers or what? 

Actually, when is snowing is not so cold :) It's enough to have something that will not let water to go trough and some wool clothes under that layer. And good shoes, those are the most important thing (I'm using Meindl right now, satisfied with cold/water protection but I'm not so much about their endurance). 

And no, is impossible to put some protection in situation like this (especially in the mountain areas). The stands of a driven hunt are not fixed all the time and we need to adjust the line depending on the movement of the animals from the last night - the snow is like an open book for reading tracks (that is why a hunt right after a snow fall is very appreciated around here). 

We need to be carefull with the snow to not affect the aiming devices (Once I was using a Zeiss red dot and when a fox came in, I was unable to shoot because I was seeing 2 dots on the screen instead of one :)) ) and, most important, to not jam your gun. The scope is not affected, you just need to avoid snow on the lenses and remember to hold your breath (or exhale with your nose only) when aiming in order to avoid blurring the image with that warm breath.

After the hunt, I'm using a dry cloth to remove the excess of snow/water and I'm letting the weapon to dry before final cleaning (usually with WD40)

On 19/04/2018 at 10:00, biriuck said:

An old lady from '62 (Gebruder Merkel Suhl, 16/70) used for almost anything from quail to wild boar 

IMG_20150815_083404.thumb.jpg.aefd9eb168f308b34f291684bbbb1bc4.jpg

My favorite rifle for stalking deer/chamois - a Brno 22f from '49, 7x57

IMG_20170624_151642.thumb.jpg.75183ce3e89e40c1ffe64beddc659cc7.jpg

The most used rifle - A Voere LBW Take-Down, 9.3x62

IMG_20170826_064518.jpg.ed45d8f0bc8f56054447827cf8e3cf5b.jpg

This combination was so effective in both driven hunts and stalking that made me to sell this beauty - a Winchester replica made by Davide Pedersoli, .45-70

IMG_20151023_130340.jpg.b4c22cbb68f1cdec83246ad115c83179.jpg

And I will buy something "new" in the next month - a Mannlicher-Schönauer mod 1903 in 6.5x54MS  :D 

Fine choices sir.

Love the Winchester but Pedersoli always make their stocks to straight for me!

U.

I agree, but for steel parts is OK and this is very important since you could have problems with many oils when the temperature drops below -10-15C. From time to time I use Tru-Oil but only at home, when the weapon is completely dry.

I just renounced at my lever gun because it was not used enough anymore. It's great at driven hunts but I also go stalking 2-3 day/week and for that it was too heavy to carry. The option to transport 2 guns with me was not so great due to all kind of stupid regulation in our weapons law...  Also, the manufacturer was not so careful with the details. It was OK for an US weapon replica, but I expect more from a gun used by me at hunting. 

Edited by biriuck
1 hour ago, biriuck said:

I agree, but for steel parts is OK and this is very important since you could have problems with many oils when the temperature drops below -10-15C. From time to time I use Tru-Oil but only at home, when the weapon is completely dry.

I just renounced at my lever gun because it was not used enough anymore. It's great at driven hunts but I also go stalking 2-3 day/week and for that it was too heavy to carry. The option to transport 2 guns with me was not so great due to all kind of stupid regulation in our weapons law...  Also, the manufacturer was not so careful with the details. It was OK for an US weapon replica, but I expect more from a gun used by me at hunting. 

Yes those Winchester actions are heavy built for long cartridges. That is how the 95 and 94 came into existence.

The 6.5×54mm Mannlicher–Schönauer is finally in my possession :D Tomorrow I need to go to the Police in order to be added in my weapon permit. After that, I will need another week until I could go to take back my permit. All that after waiting for ~30 days until I received the authorisation to buy.

Stupid bureaucracy! Probably this is the main reason here for avoiding to buy a new hunting weapon. What is the procedure in UK?

I will add later some decent photos in natural light...

IMG_20180426_185719.jpg.39b322aa48570f6f8350cd2938bcd350.jpgIMG_20180426_191359.jpg.26af4a921a3ad5a3892ade4876a55d7c.jpg  

Edited by biriuck
  • Like 1

Brno 22F in 7x57 vs. Mannlicher Schönauer in 6.5x54. Brno tried to copy the design but with a Mauser action. They did a good job but now, when I'm able to compare them side by side, I could tell that the Mannlicher action is smoother . The sights are identical,  the trigger group also identical, Brno has a longer barrel (and this is making it well balanced for my size)  and I prefer the bolt handle position of ZB. 

Such a little beauty :D 

IMG_20180427_155423.thumb.jpg.5c7eb392c89ceef11faa5e2c3fca0e4b.jpg

I love your posts because they show different sorts of guns and setting. They are  more like traditional deer stalking rifles with a European flavour.  I  like  the stutzen style and have a Mannlicher stutzen in 243. My stutzen is a set single trigger and topped with a 6x42 Habict nova,  which is a superior optic  . I have a scope similar to yours which is a Hensoldt it has a big thick pointed post  like a German #1 reticule. Love your posts and would like to see a good close-up picture of those scope mounts and how they they are fixed up.

Adrienn Levai

42 minutes ago, Meece said:

I love your posts because they show different sorts of guns and setting. They are  more like traditional deer stalking rifles with a European flavour.  I  like  the stutzen style and have a Mannlicher stutzen in 243. My stutzen is a set single trigger and topped with a 6x42 Habict nova,  which is a superior optic  . I have a scope similar to yours which is a Hensoldt it has a big thick pointed post  like a German #1 reticule. Love your posts and would like to see a good close-up picture of those scope mounts and how they they are fixed up.

Adrienn Levai

I'm having a single trigger at my Voere rifle. I'm happy with that but will never match the double trigger set for long distances :D The disadvantage of these old ladies is that  is very difficult to put a top quality scope on them (I have a Leica Magnus 2.4-16x56 on Voere)

I also have the original scope of the Brno (a very old Meopta that I should send to some serious repair). The scope from the Mannlicher is an old Carl Zeiss with German #1 reticle (very good in poor light)

The scope mount from Brno is factory made (and is a more elegant solution), the one from Mannlicher is added later. Both are quick detachable mounts.

This is the best picture I found for my Brno in order to see the base mounts.

IMG_20170601_194229.jpg.b41113a2da9c7db4a937a2f14f0d8209.jpg

In the next picture one could see the mobile part of the mount. Press on the lateral buttons and the scope could be removed by pushing up from behind.

IMG_20140421_224313.jpg.dfd8565f546ea4f2e77bfa9dbe9fed70.jpg

The scope mount has the same serial number as the weapon

IMG_20140421_224338.jpg.f03611682a52adccce72db479891ac40.jpg

Since that scope is not in a really great shape, I had to put a modern scope. I was able to mount a Bushnell Elite 4200 but not without problems. The mount rings diameter is 26mm and not 1 inch and I had to put one layer of duct tape (reinforced with fiber glass) inside. Worked perfectly and I had no issue with that for ~ 2 years. Here is a picture of it with the "modern" scope (I had only 1mm between the scope and open sights :D )

IMG_20160611_210626.jpg.fa78a9cd176dbda9d983e630fea9c5ae.jpg

This is from Steyr. The button (red arrow) is part of  a "L" form and will push the "mount safety" back in order to allow the scope mount to enter.  After that, the button could be rotated like a regular screw and mount could not be removed anymore. 

IMG_20180426_191350.jpg.9f4472bc7067d5dc4b86e137cce5863f.jpg

This is the scope (not too elegant in my opinion due to that rail full of holes and with incomplete paint). I hope to have time and resources to fix this too

IMG_20180426_185630.jpg.7bf763ec411205fe733140020d97f1df.jpg

Edited by biriuck

Thanks for posting those pictures. it is always  interesting to see other guns and equipment setup.  Here are a few pictures of the old Hensolt  scope that I have obtained.  I don't have mounts for it at the present but although it is old the optics are first class and it would out do many modern scopes. The 1A reticule is more suited to deer shooting than smaller species like fox.

DSCN7740.JPG

DSCN7741.JPG

DSCN7769.JPG

17 minutes ago, Meece said:

Thanks for posting those pictures. it is always  interesting to see other guns and equipment setup.  Here are a few pictures of the old Hensolt  scope that I have obtained.  I don't have mounts for it at the present but although it is old the optics are first class and it would out do many modern scopes. The 1A reticule is more suited to deer shooting than smaller species like fox.

Keep an eye on egun, you should find some good mounts there...  That reticle is very good in low light condition, here could be used in a night with full moon at wild boars :D Also, with some training, that reticle could be used as a rangefinder ;) 

Nice rifle, it seems to be a more recent model. 

Edited by biriuck

Thanks for that lead to Egun. i've never heard of that site.  it's a European thing.  I'll give it a look through.  Thanks again. John.

Ps  there is no side windage on the Hensoldt.  There is only vertical adjustment.  is the side windage done on the base mount?

Pps there's lots more pictures of the Mannlicher but I went into picture overload on upload size.  I'll see if I can digitally reduce them.  hopefully more to follow.

Edited by Meece

The thing that I like about that scope is that you don't  get the black ring in the sight picture that some scopes suffer with.  when you pop it up and look through it the sight picture is just as in that picture of the reticule.

PS what are the mounts for that type of fitting on the Hensoldt  called ?

Edited by Meece