IanB

.22 Hornet Load Development - 40Gr Vmax With Ppu & Lil Gun

I've settled on a load for the .22 hornet using 40gr vmax and12.7gr Lil Gun, PPU brass, with a COL 1.880 crimped, giving me half decent results, it's a compressed load, I tried small pistol and small rifle primers and both gave similar results, although the small rifle primers gave a slightly higher POI due to velocity increase.

22hornet.png

Looks like you've got it sussed. Similar load to mine, although I'm using Winchester brass 12.5gr of Lil Gun and a COAL of 1.900"

Haven't played with crimping yet. Did you find it made much of a difference?

The crimping made a slight difference in my 35gr vmax loads... When I get chance I'll do some groups with these loads uncrimped and crimped..

@Elliott just tried same load crimped vs uncrimped, the uncrimped was under 1/2” still, crimped much better, at 100yds. 4 shot group.

1AF84566-650C-42F1-AF63-5E64D1B84CAA.jpeg

On 26/11/2017 at 17:15, IanB said:

@Elliott just tried same load crimped vs uncrimped, the uncrimped was under 1/2” still, crimped much better, at 100yds. 4 shot group.

1AF84566-650C-42F1-AF63-5E64D1B84CAA.jpeg

Nice. Based on those results, I'll probably buy a Lee Crimp Die and give that a whirl with the 40gr V-Max! 

Yes I have a good load in my .223 also, I'm going to see if crimping improves things again...

54 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Nice. Based on those results, I'll probably buy a Lee Crimp Die and give that a whirl with the 40gr V-Max! 

Are you neck or full length sizing?

20 hours ago, IanB said:

Are you neck or full length sizing?

Full length resizing. Could probably do with getting some fresh brass. I'm still on the original Winchester brass from a couple of years ago! Lil Gun seems so low in pressure that they last forever. 

Must try a crimp die though. I'll get one ordered this weekend I think. 

I've never crimped but it certainly seems to work. Does crimping reduce the life of the brass?

2 hours ago, walshie said:

I've never crimped but it certainly seems to work. Does crimping reduce the life of the brass?

I never found that to be the case (no pun intended) mate.

U.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2017 at 13:16, walshie said:

I've reloaded some winchester brass around 8 times crimping each time and there still spot on.

Are these the bullets you are using? Has anyone tried the same recipe with 40grain blitzkings?

0B3A386E-AFE9-4FBD-975D-02FC017CF6C7.jpeg