I'm sure in the wealth of knowledge, skills on THL some one can help me with this one, come home from fishing this evening, the Mrs is out but my boy and his girlfriend are staying, had dinner and put a hot naan on an oak table, I now have 2 white circles, I've Google it to find olive oil helps? So it's now gad olive oil, still visible, anyone got any HELPFUL suggestions?

YouTube or google for everything mate,always a solution on them ;)

We have an old wood table that has been used and abused for years. I brought it out over the holidays for card playing and commented how badly stained it was–while quickly covering with a cloth.

3763734.pngThese white cloudy marks are caused by placing hot dishes directly on the surface. It’s been damaged like this for several years.

A few are from chinese food takeout containers and another was caused by pizza boxes. It seems the heat from the containers scorches or somehow steams the finish.

There were also some watermark rings caused by setting cups and glasses directly on the surface. You name it–this table was covered in it. Like I said–it’s been abused!

The bottom right picture is a snap of the finished table, all the stains are gone. The spot at bottom center is just glare from the light. One of these days I’ll figure out the camera and take better pictures–the wood has a dark finish but you’d never know it from these pictures!

What did I do to fix the problem? While setting out the table, a relative gave me a tip: for the scorch marks, just take an iron and apply heat to the cloudy stains, they’ll disappear! If that’s too aggressive for you, no worries, I have some other ideas listed here as well.

First, here are the steps I took to remove them…

• The first thing I did was wash the surface and dry it well.
  • I took a clean, white cotton towel that wasn’t too thick and placed it over the scorch marks.
  • Taking an old iron set to high dry heat, I placed it on top of the towel, directly over the stain. I let it sit for close to a minute, checked, and nothing happened. The damage was still there.
  • I kept reapplying the hot iron with no results, but once I turned the steam on–that’s when the magic happened. The marks literally disappeared. I couldn’t believe it and it defied logic to me–wouldn’t the steam cause more damage? All I know is that it worked. I was quick to wipe away any moisture and water on the surface after each treatment.
  • Added: A few of the comments below mentioned finishing things off by wiping in a bit of olive oil after successfully using this trick.

A few days later and the surface is still great. The cloudy discolorations haven’t returned. I keep running my hand across the top and I can’t feel any damage to the finish. I’m amazed at how easily this cleaned up–it’s a totally different piece of furniture now.

• Like 2

Ha ha! Did you get out today? Nipped down leasey bridge one barbel and come home, had a new rod just wanted to test it!

Nice i got my ticket today.... so we get over marford soon.. im doing the night over where we was last time aint been here long alls quiet. Car parks rammed though !!!