National Three Peaks

Earlier this year I lost someone very close to me to the big C, so in memory of him and to raise funds to beat this b*****d of a disease I'm doing the 3 peaks anyone done it or got any tips or experiences in anyway to help me do it would be appreciated cheers ?

• Like 7

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Earlier this year I lost someone very close to me to the big C, so in memory of him and to raise funds to beat this b*****d of a disease I'm doing the 3 peaks anyone done it or got any tips or experie

Evening all ain't been on in a while but thought I'd give you an update on how it went I competed it anyway haha it was hard work but I did enjoy it traveling was a complete c**t mind oh and Ben Nevis

Had a crack. Did Nevis then drove to the lakes and did scarfell pike. By that point it was about 10pm I think and I was too fatigued to keep driving so I had to let one of the other lads drive us to W

Posted Images

I'm doing the 3 on the 28th pal, I have had a practice climb up Ben Nevis and I understand wat you mean with tourists though it was busy and that was when the weather was atrocious so could imagine what it would be like on a nice day, any tips on tidy clothing good boots etc

Done loads of this type of thing, long walks for charity etc. Keep tucking the food away, little and often and drink lots. The best thing I bought was a rucksack that holds a h2o bladder. Using that means the nozzle is never far from your mouth so you're always taking water on board. Some can't be arsed to stop and take a drink, but with a reservoir in your rucksack you can keep on moving and drink. Take snacks like jelly babies, Jaffa cakes etc for quick energy hits and when you've finished if you're not fecked, take some protein on board to aid recovery. Good luck. I've lost my nearest and dearest through cancer ?

• Like 3

A good pair of boots good fleece and a lightweight water proof you be set mate.

best of luck and good cause.

Gimme a wave from the summit lol

thanks mate will do and appreciate the advice ?, if it was anything like last time I was up there I won't see my hand never mind you lol
  • Like 1

Done loads of this type of thing, long walks for charity etc. Keep tucking the food away, little and often and drink lots. The best thing I bought was a rucksack that holds a h2o bladder. Using that means the nozzle is never far from your mouth so you're always taking water on board. Some can't be arsed to stop and take a drink, but with a reservoir in your rucksack you can keep on moving and drink. Take snacks like jelly babies, Jaffa cakes etc for quick energy hits and when you've finished if you're not fecked, take some protein on board to aid recovery. Good luck. I've lost my nearest and dearest through cancer ?

again cheers for great advice pal appreciate it il take on board il defo get one of them water packs great idea ?
  • Like 1

Done it in 2007 with 3 mates. Assume you're going to try and do it within 24 hours?

Also, is it an 'organised' thing or are you doing it yourselves?

yea 24hours pal and it's organised by cancer research Wales, how did you find it pal ?

Done it in 2007 with 3 mates. Assume you're going to try and do it within 24 hours?

yea 24hours pal and it's organised by cancer research Wales, how did you find it pal ?
It was a decent little adventure and I enjoyed it..., and another tick in the box.

We done it in on a Friday in July starting BN at about 18.00 in good weather. By the time we got off the heavens had opened and the drive South and climb up SP were done in a feckin monsoon. It cleared up by the time we got to Wales and we got up and down MS to finish in ~ 23hrs.

As far as tips go, it's mostly common sense and been covered above. Keep hydrated being the main one (I've used the Camelbak things before but prefer drinking from bottles as I can keep an eye on what I've drunk).

Another important thing is to look after your feet. If you feel a hot spot get a plaster on it before it blisters. Prevention is better than cure and nothing will spoil your enjoyment more than blistered heels.

Don't know what level of fitness you have but getting a bit of 'hill fitness' won't do you any harm and the fitter you are the more you'll enjoy the day. You don't need mountains to train on, any steep hill will do. Just go up it two or three times. Like I said it's all just common sense.

Guessing the logistics of travel and getting you up and down are sorted. If not then that'd be another tip. Having someone that can navigate on the hill and on the road might save making a mistake that'll cost you your 24hr target.

Hope you enjoy it pal, let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

It was a decent little adventure and I enjoyed it..., and another tick in the box.

We done it in on a Friday in July starting BN at about 18.00 in good weather. By the time we got off the heavens had opened and the drive South and climb up SP were done in a feckin monsoon. It cleared up by the time we got to Wales and we got up and down MS to finish in ~ 23hrs.

As far as tips go, it's mostly common sense and been covered above. Keep hydrated being the main one (I've used the Camelbak things before but prefer drinking from bottles as I can keep an eye on what I've drunk).

Another important thing is to look after your feet. If you feel a hot spot get a plaster on it before it blisters. Prevention is better than cure and nothing will spoil your enjoyment more than blistered heels.

Don't know what level of fitness you have but getting a bit of 'hill fitness' won't do you any harm and the fitter you are the more you'll enjoy the day. You don't need mountains to train on, any steep hill will do. Just go up it two or three times. Like I said it's all just common sense.

Guessing the logistics of travel and getting you up and down are sorted. If not then that'd be another tip. Having someone that can navigate on the hill and on the road might save making a mistake that'll cost you your 24hr target.

will do mate I am looking forward to it but A little nervous at the same time lol,we start at the base of Ben Nevis at 6 :30 on the sat morning then get to scarfel pike at around 5pm and then get to snowden around 3am Sunday to finish by half 6 Sunday morning, fitness wise in getting there I'm doing penyfan up the Brecon Beacons which is the closest and largest mountain to me twice a week now and I'm getting up and down in under an hour so not bad but that's just a hill compared to the three lol, again thanks for the input and advice il defo take on board plasters never thought of them either ?

will do mate I am looking forward to it but A little nervous at the same time lol,we start at the base of Ben Nevis at 6 :30 on the sat morning then get to scarfel pike at around 5pm and then get to snowden around 3am Sunday to finish by half 6 Sunday morning, fitness wise in getting there I'm doing penyfan up the Brecon Beacons which is the closest and largest mountain to me twice a week now and I'm getting up and down in under an hour so not bad but that's just a hill compared to the three lol, again thanks for the input and advice il defo take on board plasters never thought of them either ?
No need to be nervous, do a bit of training and get your boots broken in and you'll piss it.

6:30 start is a mistake though as it means you'll finish early Sunday and well before the pubs are open ?

Had a crack. Did Nevis then drove to the lakes and did scarfell pike. By that point it was about 10pm I think and I was too fatigued to keep driving so I had to let one of the other lads drive us to Wales and within 20mins I was spewing with motion sickness. I was sick all the way to snowdon and by that point too run down with it to bother. I rolled out of that f***ing car and woke up on the tarmac of the car park, lol.

I suffer as a passenger really badly with nausea which is why I tried to drive it all. I kept telling the b*****ds to just leave me on the side of the motorway but they wouldn't! I spent most of the journey half asleep with my head out the window. It was f***ing horrible. Haha the walking part was fine though.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 3