Calibres, How And Why Did They Choose Them?

I think it would've been devised as .177th of an inch barrel diameter with a specific projectile or bullet calibre of 4.5 mm. The diameter width and the required length of the round. Then weight of the round, energy by weight and so on is factored into the calibre maths.

Whitworth was an obsessive perfectionist in everything he did. He wrote everything he did down in his journals which have become the bedrock of many practices in arms manufacture today. He was possibly, the first arms and ammunitions design engineer to have devised what is surely now the forunner of the 17HMR calibre bullet and rifle. But, being an industrialist with his work firmly focused on military applications and requirements for firearms, such a small round was not going to excite either the British Army and Royal Navy, nor the widening African big game safari sporting firearms market who both wanted big, powerful magnum killing rounds for man and beast.

• Like 1

'.25 - might as well throw a brick underarm - awful trajectory.'

Except when it has 47fpe pushing it along then it has a better trajectory than your sub 12 .177 :whistling:

Zero at 25mt-----------1/2 a mildot hold over at 60mt, AA fields 25.4gr, job done

Phil

Edited by philpot
  • Like 1

Exactly ! ​ Except when it has 47 fpe ( foot pounds energy) pushing it along, then it has a better trajectory than your SUB 12 .177 :whistling:

​The large majority of shooting lads on this forum are using sub 12 ft/lbs rifles and a large majority " assume" we are talking sub 12 ft/lbs rifles but hey totally agree that an "air cannon" like that would give those results.

Useful where field craft cannot be applied, I suppose but I wouldn't like to cook the remnants of a small bird/ rabbit struck like that, unless head shot !

There again .177 at sub 12 will give the same result but a far tidier and more skilful one, with field craft applied or created.

Mark.

• Like 1

Exactly ! ​ Except when it has 47 fpe ( foot pounds energy) pushing it along, then it has a better trajectory than your SUB 12 .177 :whistling:

​The large majority of shooting lads on this forum are using sub 12 ft/lbs rifles and a large majority " assume" we are talking sub 12 ft/lbs rifles but hey totally agree that an "air cannon" like that would give those results.

Useful where field craft cannot be applied, I suppose but I wouldn't like to cook the remnants of a small bird/ rabbit struck like that, unless head shot !

There again .177 at sub 12 will give the same result but a far tidier and more skilful one, with field craft applied or created.

Mark.

Oh dear Mark, you do make me laugh.

Phil