Anther Two Punt Guns

Enclosed are a couple of images that may interest members of a early 4 bore flintlock punt gun of the 1760s and a century later a 4 bore breech loader . These guns I restored 10 years ago the flintlock was mostly lock work with little work to the stock, the breech loader centre fire was all new stock work

Feltwad

A 4 bore Breech Loading Pun Gun

100_0569_zpsrbjflqa9.jpg

A 1760, Flintlock 4 bore Punt Gun

100_1069_zpsk9nycbab.jpg

Edited by Feltwad
  • Like 6

very nice , how much shot would it have threw out?

Both guns would have been loaded depending on the quarry around 3 oz of number 3 or BB shot for geese ,,the powder load in those days for the flintlock would have been 7to9 drms of coarse powder today it would be less the reason been that black powder in those days was not has good has black powder today and it needed a long barrel to burn it .Black powder gains more power has it travels up the barrel not like nitro powder which is spent at eight inches from the breech.

It must be remembered that these guns were {Tools Of The Trade} it was a fowlers living when in season the quarry included all birds of the foreshore and the ings from Whoopee Swans to starling. in reed beds most of surplus wildfowl that was shot was sold at market mostly in the main towns.

Feltwad

Punter shooting a percussion 4 bore at a past Game Fair

4%20bore_zpsfgahldle.jpg

Edited by Feltwad
  • Like 2

very nice , how much shot would it have threw out?

Both guns would have been loaded depending on the quarry around 3 oz of number 3 or BB shot for geese ,,the powder load in those days for the flintlock would have been 7to9 drms of coarse powder today it would be less the reason been that black powder in those days was not has good has black powder today and it needed a long barrel to burn it .Black powder gains more power has it travels up the barrel not like nitro powder which is spent at eight inches from the breech.

It must be remembered that these guns were {Tools Of The Trade} it was a fowlers living when in season the quarry included all birds of the foreshore and the ings from Whoopee Swans to starling. in reed beds most of surplus wildfowl that was shot was sold at market mostly in the main towns.

Feltwad

Punter shooting a percussion 4 bore at a past Game Fair

4%20bore_zpsfgahldle.jpg

good post and pics :thumbs: , just bit of info from you, was all the shooting done, with the person laying out in the boat, and killing birds on the water .? as i suppose by looking at that last pic with bloke standing up even though he resting arm+ gun on the bales, looks like hell of a recoil lol, and if standing the barrels would be all over the place, lol . as say dont know nothing about the sport, only from looking at pics all shooters are laying down in boat.

Bird

All punt guns were shot from a boat known has a punt and larger than the one in the last image which you refer too this is a 4 bore shoulder fowling gun .There was a larger shoulder gun this was known has a bank gun enclosed is a image of a 2bore flintlock bank gun ,it could be used has a small punt gun which was used on the sand dunes or the sea wall the method was that small fowl feeding along the incoming tide such has knots and such and when within range a charge of shot was discharged into the flock.

Feltwad

2bore Flintlock Bank Gun

P1010037-1.jpg

Edited by Feltwad
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. I used to meet up every now and again with a punt gunner on the marshes of the Humber many many years ago and had a go in the punt, not with the gun however, and I recall just how hard it was to lay face down with these scoop like paddles and your arms up and over the gunnels. I only paddled around in the shallows but my arms and shoulder certainly felt like jelly for a while afterwards.

A couple of years ago Jackson Kayaks of the US brought out a 'duck hunting' kayak which looked quite good, they were going to send me one to test as I used to be involved with the company but they never got round to it, shame really.

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/realtree-kilroy/

Not in the same league as a proper punt but nevertheless it would be trying on the marshes.

Phil