Not quite sure how that works, hardwood cuttings, done between Autumn and Spring-remove large leaves and shoots, my hardwoods don't have leaves or shoots between Autumn and Spring.

I have a large hazel tree in my garden, so have been following this with interest as would love to plant some more around the farm from it if possible.

Maybe the author lives in the south.

Bare root hazel whips aren't very expensive for anyone interested in planting some around the place.

They really are cheap.

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/common-hazel-hedging-plants-corylus-avellana?gclid=CPurpvKJxNICFYeVGwodLfAGMg

TC

That's quite an expensive site too I think so shop around. Last time I bought some I think they were about 60p each for a 60-90cm whip and I planted a load around the area.
  • Like 2

I don't know if they'd have had long term potential but...when I first moved into my house about eleven years ago I fenced off the last thirty feet of the garden for the bantams using home made/Heath Robinson hurdles. I also used a few of the off-cuts to put in as edging around the veg patch and several of them popped out a few leaves. I moved them the following year though so, as I say, I don't know if they'd have lasted and rooted or not. :hmm:

• 3 months later...

New growth on one of several hazel poles I've used to put a bit of fence round the mrs herb patch to keep the dog out:

Out of the 20+ I've used round the garden, this is the only one that has started growing..

post-8371-0-12891500-1498930178_thumb.jpg

A couple summers ago one of my employers shrubs was leggy and loose. In other words un pruned and wind-rocked.

I had recently topped a mixed native hedge for him and I was able to clean a piece of hazel thumb thickness and about 4ft long.

With a handy lump of bale twine I was able to save the shrub/bush (lavateria).

Last summer I was asked to remove the plant to make way for new planting. I reduced it to about 10-12 inches high and removed all dead/dying and crossing limbs etc and relocated it to another bed. It is now looking lovely.

I hear you asking about the hazel stick. well, that had produced a good handfull of cotton like roots when I pulled it up.

Regretably I failed to realise what a treasure I beheld and the stick dried out on the bonfire heap.

I think it would have grown into a squat little bush from ground level if re-planted promptly.

• Like 1