I've got ferrets and Lurchers in the garden that my grandson feeds, cleans tends and works which is a delight to see as a lot of you's know, he wants me to put up an aviary in an unused corner of the garden, I don't doubt his enthusiasm and ability to look after them, problem is I don't know anyone around me now who keeps finches or canaries and I know practically zero about them, so lads is it feasible for me and my grandson to have a nice little aviary without it all going tits up, any input would be appreciated

• Like 1

is it just a flight your thinking of, if so its handy enough to look after, you could have a few canaries and finch in it and have a mixed flight. 1 cock canary and say 2 or 3 hens, a couple of finch like goldies,siskins linnetes, Depending on the size your building and how many birds once or twice a week to clean out, fresh water and seed so handy enough. Mixed flight looks good, have a part of the flight blocked with perspex to stop the wind blowing directly at the birds when there on the perch roosting for the night, the cold wont kill them but a breeze blowing at them all night they will get cold from like a draught on them is bad.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a bit of ground cleared and concreted for the aviary base and have collected the timber that I think I will need. Also have the option of giving him about 4ft x 8ft inside the bigger shed if needed the aviary will be built against this shed in a lean to manner, I also have plastic corrugated sheeting for the roof would this be OK to use, hoping to get it started at beginning of the week, is there a best time of year to introduce the birds

Smashing little hobby the birds it will be a nice close up look for a youngster at how nature works.....as regards the corrugated stuff i paid a bit extra for the heavier stuff and it never moved an inch even in strong winds,dont forget to wire underneath it just incase it did come loose you dont want your birds flying away do you.....its good to have the aviary attached to a shed it gives the birds some solid cover to get into free from draughts.....im no expert but i think the best time of year to get birds is probably autumn time after the first moult but Canaries are tough little things you,ll be ok...best of luck and i hope the little chap gets the bug for it.

• Like 3