My New Project.

I really didn't intend to buy any more rifles this year but, this came up for sale on another forum at a good price. I thought it might make an interesting hunting rig :thumbs:

It's a .22 Gunpower Stealth. It's got a Verminator bottle and butt, new Steve Pegg internals, a custom silencer and, what I think is probably an Atlas copy bipod.

post-102688-0-81951200-1485696453_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's a single shot, which I don't mind. It's solidly built and simple, which I like.

So far, I've tried AA Field and JSB Exacts - it seems to prefer JSBs but, I will be trying a few more pellets through it.

It's early days but, it seems to have a couple of issues......

There's a tophat in the breech to set the power level. It has 2 little grub screws to hold it in place but, because of the way the Breech closes and locks, it's interfering with the top hat and loosening it which keeps changing the power. I reckon some Loctite will help.

I've also read on one of the American forums that these are improved with a rubber washer behind the tophat.

post-102688-0-13615500-1485697546_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-26678700-1485697561_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to have to try some different options for the scope set up - at the moment it's a long way above the barrel - I don't know if this is what's making it difficult to zero but, my last 10 shots with JSBs needed a 2 mildot holdover at 20yrds just to be roughly on target.

I think perseverance is going to be key with this one. If I can get it sorted before the warmer weather gets here, I reckon it might be a good rifle for ambush/hide hunting :thumbs:

post-102688-0-41493400-1485698054_thumb.jpg

Never seen one John , but does look unusual,

Hope you get it sorted mate , then get down to the old lady's perm !

Atb

Dave

Cheers Dave :thumbs:

It's an interesting thing. I normally prefer rifles with a bit of wood and blued steel but, for some reason this caught my eye.

Fingers crossed it'll come good.

There is one in my RFD and confess to picking it up a few times but keep resisting........................spending more than enough as it is :hmm:

Try JSB RS as I was advised that they work very well in these guns.

Phil

Get in that posh camper and come and have a play Phil - I know somewhere that you can even lob your fast .25s about ;)
  • Like 1

Hi

Your Stealth (Looks like a Storm now!!) Looks a cracking bit o' kit :yes: , I've two Stealths, One is fantastic, The other needs new valve parts, as the internals are damaged!

EDIT- forgot to say, The top one needs that parts!!

eCBP8er.jpg

I'll have to buy some Acetal rod from flrabay ang make a new one!

caLhuXe.jpg

I'll have to skim the seat in the lathe too..

IobL2Q3.jpg

John :bye:

Edited by johnbaz
  • Like 1

Hi

Your Stealth (Looks like a Storm now!!) Looks a cracking bit o' kit :yes: , I've two Stealths, One is fantastic, The other needs new valve parts, as the internals are damaged!

eCBP8er.jpg

caLhuXe.jpg

I'll have to skim the seat in the lather too..

IobL2Q3.jpg

Nice looking rifles John :thumbs:

I do like those fatter silencers. The bloke that I bought this off gave me the original. It's seen better days though.

Do you find the back end to be really long on these?

I could do with my neck being 4" longer for my one.

Also, how do you stop the tophat from moving?

I read that the 2 grub screws shouldn't be done up too tight because they can damage the threaded tube that the tophat sits on.

Hi

eCBP8er.jpg

caLhuXe.jpg

IobL2Q3.jpg

I do like those fatter silencers. The bloke that I bought this off gave me the original. It's seen better days though.

I read that the 2 grub screws shouldn't be done up too tight because they can damage the threaded tube that the tophat sits on.

Hi Jonjon

The correct way to set the power is to adjust the tophat until the power is what you want it at then a feeler guage is inserter between the rear of the tophat and the top of the bottle, when the guage just nips nicely, The tophat is the unscrewed from the tube and a little bit of threadlock applied to the threads the the tophat is screwed on until it nips the guage agian then the grubscrew nipped tight, This was the tophat won't unscrew or screw inaltering the performance..

That's how I read it, I've not done it but it sounds like it will work OK..

The length of pull does seem a little long but the scope mounts can be fitted well back on the raised rail and then the scope moved back to it's full extent :good:

The longer than standard silencer performs superbly but what spoils it is the bang of the hammer!, That's all that can be heard!! I've considered stripping it and using contact adhesive to glue some very thin latex rubber on to the face of the hammer, I reckon it would do the job :boogie:

Cheers, John :)

Hi

eCBP8er.jpg

caLhuXe.jpg

IobL2Q3.jpg

Hi Jonjon

The correct way to set the power is to adjust the tophat until the power is what you want it at then a feeler guage is inserter between the rear of the tophat and the top of the bottle, when the guage just nips nicely, The tophat is the unscrewed from the tube and a little bit of threadlock applied to the threads the the tophat is screwed on until it nips the guage agian then the grubscrew nipped tight, This was the tophat won't unscrew or screw inaltering the performance..

That's how I read it, I've not done it but it sounds like it will work OK..

The length of pull does seem a little long but the scope mounts can be fitted well back on the raised rail and then the scope moved back to it's full extent :good:

The longer than standard silencer performs superbly but what spoils it is the bang of the hammer!, That's all that can be heard!! I've considered stripping it and using contact adhesive to glue some very thin latex rubber on to the face of the hammer, I reckon it would do the job :boogie:

Cheers, John :)

Cheers John,

I appreciate the reply :thumbs:

I'll give the thread lock a whirl :)

I really don't mind the hammer noise. In fact, as it's an older rifle, I quite like it.

...... my bullbarrel Super 10 really seems to spit the pellets out.

Everyone's different but, for me, it's part of the charm of an older rifle.

My .177 GSX100 is very slick and capable but, my mk2 S10 is fun :D

Again, thank you for the reply.

Atb