Dodgy Digs.

Mole,agreed mate it ain't a good memory for me 27 years on .

Another time we ran a fox into what is known locally as a swallow hole ,a hole at the bottom of a bank that drains the field in heavy rain .The field was slightly v shaped which would funnel all run off to this place .It was drizzling when we entered a dog and I was relieved to track her with the finder and level out back under the field .5 ft in heavy clay was hard sticky going then the heavens opened .We were plastered but only 18 inches to go or there abouts on the old deben .We noticing water trickling down into the dig from the clay soaked fields which gradually got worse to the point we were baling out water with the shovel which is never good or practical .We tried to create a dam but it seeped through and things were getting bad to the point I dreaded breaking through to what I might find .Water could be heard gushing further down the hole .we dug on ,shitty clay up to our ankles that was getting deeper .Panic set in a bit and we dug like idiots knowing we couldn't keep it up but we did and broke through to a dog and dead fox .Terrier got covered in slime but unharmed .We went from there broken men but just happy to get the dog back .Never backfilled that one I'll admit and the whole lot had caved in next time I saw it .Farmer dumped a load of topsoil on it which was washed away and totally gone next time it rained .God knows how deep the main drain went or where it went but its still there to this day .

Somewhere else that we now avoid is an old sewer works where there is a miriard of tunnels that the foxes loved .Wed worked this for years before the day in question .Nets on dog in and stand back .Baying was heard as the terrier travelled hot on the foxes heels but in an area previously unvisited ,ever .Silence and we wondered if Charlie had bolted unseen in the trash

.Box on but nothing and despite calls no terrier on top .We decide to dig the last spot we heard the dog and were soon down on top the clay pipe which I broke .Nothing so a shine either side with the torch and faint splashing could be heard and whining from the direction the terrier went in .Found and broke the pipe again before another panic session set in as reality dawned on us .The terrier was in a concrete tank full of water .Dug the top off and luckily it was only covered by tin sheets which were quickly thrown aside .Terrier was about 3 ft lower and fully submerged save his mouth and nose totally knackered ,paddling very slowly .Got him out and dried him off and luckily no harm but we never went there again .

Had a dig with water issues last season , water was following a seam of clay and started pissing in half way down the dig,all we could do was keep a sump hole open in the corner to bale the water out of.Everything turned out alright in the end but it wasn't the most comfortable of digs

post-58824-0-29980500-1485024862_thumb.png

• Like 7

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dug to my old dog foot in hard clay . As we where digging down i was about a foot off and I felt the ground go and the Earth caved in on top of him . I heard him struggling for breath . I panicked and

Maybe 25 years ago I was nearly killed in a dig .Stupidity and brazen hard headedness got me into it .We used to walk an old sand quarry by me that was riddled with holes ,some easy ,some not so.The l

never met the lads before that day...good frendships made that day...I will enjoy digging to the pup the lad gifted me from the bitch we saved that day...no names he knows who he is...Top Man and resp

Posted Images

Only 2.4, shallowest ive had it, but the big rock was above the dog sticking out of the wall of the dig. Looked secure enough, my father got under the rock, up the tube and pull the dog out as she had pushed it a bit further back. Pulled the dog out and the moment he stepped out of the dig, I heard this mighty thud and the rock had rolled into the dig where my father was lying just seconds previous. Very lucky and I've never visited it since.

20141102_154528_zps1o8vaduy.jpg

Ffs!!!!! How lucky your dad was that day. Atb.

• Like 2