Not Making Grade

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i must admit,I put my heart and soul into my workers,and when they fail miserably I have no issues in putting them to sleep.I just cant walk out and feed ,clean ,and exercise a dog day in day out know

I reckon there's a few dogs that would refuse to work certain things if taken out of there comfort zone. Seen loads of dogs back down from a good fallow or good winter fox. Even seen some dogs jack be

nonsence! You can't put in what ain't there...

If you have done your home work your pup would do all that entered cornnectly with no problem's if it fails I would say its down to owner and they should put up with it not pass it on and on.

My dogs must do all that to a good level

• Like 3

There's nothing to be ashamed of finding a dogs weakness it just means you've give the dog enough to find it out you'll get dogs from same litters one will make the grade and be a hard old b*****d and you could have another that's not got the heart for it when the going gets tough. Some dogs can only handle abit of work or go a lot better at some things more than others.

it's down to the owner at the end of the day some can get the best out of a dog and will work with it to make it handy some look for those raw ingredients and build on them. Id rather get a pup off a man that will tell you his dogs have certain faults as to me honesty is the key the rest is upto you and the dog.

• Like 1

I'd say the examples you said are mainly training issues ,with the exception of jacking after 10 runs.

Now if it's jacking after 10 runs ,I'd say 10 runs on what , is the dog injured or Unfit, or been given Unrealistic slips near hedges continuously as a youngster.

But if an animal isn't physically fast enough or capable enough for why you bought and raised it for, maybe then it hasn't made the grade. A dog that don't want to try can also make you fallout with it.

• Like 2

A dog might fail at certain tasks but be perfect at others and earn its crust that way eg a runner with a bad injury might never get back to where they were but could flatten cover , mark to ground etc , ....... What happens if you only had space for 1 dog , your runner,s took a bad knock she won't recover from and your land owner wants vermin removing , your loyalty won't keep your permission and won't get you out on them dark windy nights , and won't put food on the table !!!

• Like 1

It depends what the "grade" is...I know lads who will always bring out the best in a dog...maybe not interested in one quarry but excels at another...

And I know others who seem to do nothing but buy dogs, swap and sell dogs...every new one is a legend, every old one a wanker...

• Like 3

Alot won't comment on this as Alot expect a catch and finished product on first night. The line people decide made the grade at is massive

A dog catching and retrieving a rabbit isn't a decider for me whether a dog makes the grade or not.

How a dog performs when the going gets tough and he's not getting it all his own way is how I decide whether a dog stays here or not.

• Like 1

It is amazing how many people can find fault with another mans dog and not their own , I've met too many experts giving it the I've had dogs for 40 years blah blah and when you look in their kennels the dog didn't deserve the kennel space I've lost some very good dogs some years ago and have spent the last 7 years trying to replace them which I havent managed to yet you'll know for sure what the grade is when you'd give anything to have them back !

• Like 2

I have not had one yet that didn't do what I wanted , luckily, but I have failed to make the grade with one. Personal circumstances with a premature baby with severe lung issues meant I had to pass the dog on as any hair was a severe issue. Gutted wasn't the word as it had just made the grade .

If you have done your home work your pup would do all that entered cornnectly with no problem's if it fails I would say its down to owner and they should put up with it not pass it on and on.

• Like 4

I think he means does all the original poster said, but sure some won't have the heart for certain work

I think he means does all the original poster said, but sure some won't have the heart for certain work

And others just won't have the ability for certain work.

• Like 1