Ferret Finder Repairs

• 3 years later...

Ive just discovered Jim has sadly passed away and now I think my old 15ft knocker box needs calibrated.... it’s fine at the minute until I screw it out past 10ft then it’s making a static noise... does anyone know who else can calibrate them or is it maybe the collar batteries I’m using? 

On 06/12/2020 at 18:53, old school said:

Ive just discovered Jim has sadly passed away and now I think my old 15ft knocker box needs calibrated.... it’s fine at the minute until I screw it out past 10ft then it’s making a static noise... does anyone know who else can calibrate them or is it maybe the collar batteries I’m using? 

Think I've posted this before some where. Make sure you test box and cover out side your house as all sorts of electrical stuff upsets the box, TV's,  Florescent tubes, you will be surprised. If out side wire mesh galvanised sheets also upset them etc.

This might help remove the battery take the insides out of the box remove the screw from the centre of the depth wheel, remove the depth wheel. Then remove the thin plastic cover usually yellow or white. Now carefully clean the Carbon horse shoe shape resistor with a cotton bud and little Isoclene or Mentholated spirt. Make sure your batteries are all good mate. Atb.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Arry said:

Think I've posted this before some where. Make sure you test box and cover out side your house as all sorts of electrical stuff upsets the box, TV's,  Florescent tubes, you will be surprised. If out side wire mesh galvanised sheets also upset them etc.

This might help remove the battery take the insides out of the box remove the screw from the centre of the depth wheel, remove the depth wheel. Then remove the thin plastic cove usually yellow or white. Now carefully clean the Carbon horse shoe shape resistor with a cotton bud and little Isoclene or Mentholated spirt. Make sure your batteries are all good mate. Atb.

Cheers Arry

Thats done the trick arry.... once I lifted the guts out of the case it was filthy! Thanks very much for that, I’m all chuffed ??

out of curiosity, is recalibration a big job? 

Cheers again, Willie 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, old school said:

Thats done the trick arry.... once I lifted the guts out of the case it was filthy! Thanks very much for that, I’m all chuffed ??

out of curiosity, is recalibration a big job? 

Cheers again, Willie 

Each collar is a little different so if you have more than one collar the box may read different. You can calibrate the box but it is tricky to be honest. There two components ether end on the board they stand up right they are usually blue or black they have a slot in them that can be adjusted. I would recommend if you are going to try this to put a small mark with tipex before you move them. They are called potential meters you have to have the board out of the box with the battery connected and the collared working to do this. It is tricky put a measuring tape out at 16 metres the collar at one end and adjust till you get the nearest. I find its better if the box is more accurate at 1 foot  2 foot and 3 foot as thats where you get more digs if you get my drift. If you not confident I would leave it as it is.

Cheers Arry

12 minutes ago, Arry said:

Each collar is a little different so if you have more than one collar the box may read different. You can calibrate the box but it is tricky to be honest. There two components ether end on the board they stand up right they are usually blue or black they have a slot in them that can be adjusted. I would recommend if you are going to try this to put a small mark with tipex before you move them. They are called potential meters you have to have the board out of the box with the battery connected and the collared working to do this. It is tricky put a measuring tape out at 16 metres the collar at one end and adjust till you get the nearest. I find its better if the box is more accurate at 1 foot  2 foot and 3 foot as thats where you get more digs if you get my drift. If you not confident I would leave it as it is.

Cheers Arry

Lol I think this should be pinned on the forum home page.... now that I’ve tested it against the tape measure it’s actually not bad as it is, I’ve seen the adjusters you mentioned just before I closed the box up and I’m glad I didn’t fiddle with them ??..... I think I’m good to go! ??

• Like 1
On 07/12/2020 at 17:59, old school said:

Lol I think this should be pinned on the forum home page.... now that I’ve tested it against the tape measure it’s actually not bad as it is, I’ve seen the adjusters you mentioned just before I closed the box up and I’m glad I didn’t fiddle with them ??..... I think I’m good to go! ??

Little tip,  pinch a drop of the wife's nail polish and put a little dab of it on the little screw in the centre of the depth wheel, this should help stop it coming loose when you're out and about.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...