Don Mayfield

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No i never met any of that generation i got introduced to the dogs by a few roguish types of our area when i was young and started looking at the Journal where i saw Dons old advert and just started w

I believe Springview spent time with Mr Mayfield, recall a photo aswell which might make a few people smile.   A few of his articles has have long lasting effects on me, none more so than the one th

When i was keen and enthusiastic i would keep listening until it made sense.......these days im bored after a couple of sentances

He really became jealous and bitter in his later years, having a pop at everyone. I remember him and Pat Patrick were at it, I was definitely rooting for Patrick in their disagreement.

I didnt have you down as old enough to remember all that.....the trouble is Don did go a bit nuts in his later years i put it down to all that shit he smoked some of the claims he made undone a lot of the good he did for the game but nobody ever has or ever will get to the truth of those old boys and their dealings so i tend to judge on documented records and on records alone Mayfield had few equals.....they all peddled dogs,hung pedigrees and generally conned people and each other so you just have to use your eyes and your understanding of dogs and pedigrees to make your own mind up otherwise you might as well just go with the story you like best.

He really became jealous and bitter in his later years, having a pop at everyone. I remember him and Pat Patrick were at it, I was definitely rooting for Patrick in their disagreement.

I didnt have you down as old enough to remember all that.....the trouble is Don did go a bit nuts in his later years i put it down to all that shit he smoked some of the claims he made undone a lot of the good he did for the game but nobody ever has or ever will get to the truth of those old boys and their dealings so i tend to judge on documented records and on records alone Mayfield had few equals.....they all peddled dogs,hung pedigrees and generally conned people and each other so you just have to use your eyes and your understanding of dogs and pedigrees to make your own mind up otherwise you might as well just go with the story you like best.

Maurice Carver was the King of Con, I can understand all the secrets, lies and underhand tactics in the game but I wish the whole truth was known. Folk who were at matches can't even on things. Some people say Bullyson plain quit and others said he could not go. It's even worse than the hunting game that sport.

Maurice Carver was the King of Con, I can understand all the secrets, lies and underhand tactics in the game but I wish the whole truth was known. Folk who were at matches can't even on things. Some people say Bullyson plain quit and others said he could not go. It's even worse than the hunting game that sport.
I agree, that sport seems to be a political mess full of hypocrisy, backstabbing, lies and bitching. But the beauty is the bull$hit stops when they step in the box...

I agree, that sport seems to be a political mess full of hypocrisy, backstabbing, lies and bitching. But the beauty is the bull$hit stops when they step in the box...
You know the LC dog from nsw 9 years old eli dog . That dog is in sydney i heard.

Last year i saw some of the best apbt yard in the country. Was in nsw. With some of that queen of heart blood.

Edited by AXUM

Did you go over and meet any of those old fellas Gnash?

No i never met any of that generation i got introduced to the dogs by a few roguish types of our area when i was young and started looking at the Journal where i saw Dons old advert and just started writing to him i had a bit of an infatuation with him back then :icon_redface: ....a scruffy young kid off the estate communicating with this old cowboy i thought i was heading for a part in The High Chaparral :D .....he was in demand though dealing with folk all round the world i probably got on his nerves to be honest but he was the top dog conditioner and conditioning was my thing.....then years later when i became interested in breeding i was on his case again but he had pretty much lost his marbles by then,one of the first things i ever did when i first got the internet was go on his old chat it was great all these different folk from round the world sitting talking bollocks then Don would come on and everyone would shut up people just hung on his every word he had that kind of aura none of the other old boys really interested me and it became obvious early on what those old timers were up to so reading their stories was enough.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 4

I wrote to a couple of names in the eighties looking for advice ,tips ,info etc stupidly thinking they would offer it to a stranger for nothing .I found them the same as uncle Ed over here ,if you weren't buying you were just a nuisance .

You know the LC dog from nsw 9 years old eli dog . That dog is in sydney i heard.

Last year i saw some of the best apbt yard in the country. Was in nsw. With some of that queen of heart blood.

No, I haven't kept track of it at all lately, here or overseas as much as I would love to, but I have always been more interested in running dogs and they have taken my spare time.

I wrote to a couple of names in the eighties looking for advice ,tips ,info etc stupidly thinking they would offer it to a stranger for nothing .I found them the same as uncle Ed over here ,if you weren't buying you were just a nuisance .

Ive heard a lot of people say the same but Don wasnt like that he just loved to talk dogs i rang him many times asking different things i remember praying for him to finish his sentence so i could hang the phone up knowing the mrs would be on my case when the phone bill came in :D......hIs wife was more aggressive than any dog he owned a few times i forgot the time difference and she would shout down the phone to call back at a decent hour.....as for old man Reid nice fella that he was there wasnt much advice he could give anyone to be fair he was just in the right place at the right time with the right product......and good luck to him.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

At first i was probably a bit star struck and just listened to him but i soon realised i probably knew more about athletic conditioning than he did !.....but he had a really interesting and often simplistic attitude to conditioning so yes although i knew physical conditioning he knew dogs inside out and about how a dogs body responded in relation to feed/work/rest etc it wasnt difficult to imagine him being top notch at what he did in his day.

When he got onto breeding and dog dealing thats when he could become hard work like i say all them old boys seemed to have their own stories didnt they all our generation could do was listen really.

• Like 1

At first i was probably a bit star struck and just listened to him but i soon realised i probably knew more about athletic conditioning than he did !.....but he had a really interesting and often simplistic attitude to conditioning so yes although i knew physical conditioning he knew dogs inside out and about how a dogs body responded in relation to feed/work/rest etc it wasnt difficult to imagine him being top notch at what he did in his day.

When he got onto breeding and dog dealing thats when he could become hard work like i say all them old boys seemed to have their own stories didnt they all our generation could do was listen really.

Did you buy some of the purest of the purest??? ?