Poaching Following On With Poaching Post

just following on with the poaching post, this was in the 80s

Few years, where I lived before , was lamping a field got 4 rabbits , then had a run on a fox, the fox got away , dog put couple turns into it , not a bad run you never catch them all . Anyway me with having the lamp on that bit longer running the fox, the keeper must have seen the light , next thing his lamp was scanning the field , I ran to the edge , got in to the edge, put the dog between my legs, put my hands over his eyes, then just kept still with me crouching down in the edge . the keepers beam came close to the edge , but kept moving up/down the field , he was prob looking for movement , this went on for 6-7 mins, a feckin long 6-7 mins . Then he left the field I seen the motor go down the lane, and it was gone as ( I thought ) well I carried on walking didn't lamp for good 10 mins, by now I was 2 fields a way , put the lamp on and feckin hell 2 lamps was on me , ran the field with my dog Bruce my 1/4 pit 3/4 grey , he was loose running in front, I was going flat out , this was in the 80s when I was younger+ fitter . I got about 10yds to the edge , but his landy got there just before me twats .There was 2 of them one one back with a lamp , and one in the inside with a lamp , both shown there lamps into my face, couldn't see bugger all there , they were blinding me . I said get the fookin things out of my face, the keeper in the motor was giving me all the norm stuff you shouldn't be on here I told him I was just after couple rabbits that's all . well got a way with it that night lol but , learned that night how crafty they can be at times, with them sitting/ waiting in the dark , a million cp lamp will always show up, and with todays stuff they can even see you in the dark, always risky business night work, done it for 34 odd years, still like the odd night out , you always get that buzz :yes: , but it not as strong as it was when I was 30. when your young/fit and can run lol old age and fooked back caught up with me . :yes:

Bruce dog in the post

Bruce_zpsxog5s9c1.jpg

• Like 9

Nice story, always makes the bum hole go when you see another light shinning round the field when your poaching! I just turn it off and walk home without turning it on again, never know who is on the end of the other lamp! Atb

yeh , should have got on a road out of the fields , I learned that night deff :thumbs:

Yeah good post Ray, had a few run ins over the yrs inevitable when yas out and about where one was not wanted.the estate I ran regular back then held a good number of keepers and under keepers feck me lots a my hunting done one with one unless needed extra hands, came on top one night the only solution was the canal dropped in and wated it out both me the jukes were froze ten fifteen minutes his a long wait in freezing November water ,lucky I was younger and fitter back then jogged the ten mile along the tow path to civilisation flagged a taxi straight ta me door , been lots of other occasions when it's been close even caught ten keepers round yas ain't very good odds back then it was like a military operation finding good park ups ,one was a keepers garage cheek off it used that fa a good few yrs feck me a have lots of run ins a least one a week .has I have aged mostly I am seen has just that a country man walking his dog nothing more nothing less I believe they referred to has opportunist mouchers atb bunnys.

They can be crafty for sure Ray. I had to take me hat off one night to a farmer. Me and my cousin was lamping a big old field on a rough night. The gate was right at the top of the field on a slope. The farmer had crept up the track the other side of the hedge with lights off then opened the gate and snuck in. First we new about it was a roaring engine and head lights on full steaming down the hill at us. It was quite comical in hind site as he had his window open giving it large but was going so fast in the wet he couldn't stop and went sliding by us all the way down to the bottom :laugh: By the time he got sorted we had done thee old split up routine and meet else where ;) needless to say we went some where else :thumbs:

• Like 1